Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: I'm impressed  (Read 30421 times)

userdk

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnaces - Pineview Woodstoves
Re: I'm impressed
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2017, 06:39:37 PM »

Is the polar a mild steel boiler? It seems uncanny how similar the Polar and Heatmaster are in design. Wondering how they compare in efficiency?
There are some design differences as well as a slight difference in efficiency see attachment below.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2017, 07:39:31 PM »

I wonder how close any of those claimed efficiency numbers actually are since when emission testing they didn’t even use cordwood, kiln dried mill cut oak blocks if I recall correctly.

It could change rather easily from filling it one time with larger splits on the verge of being too large too gas properly then the next time with much smaller pieces, ditto far as moisture as well. I do know either the G400 I did run or G200 I’m running now burned much less wood than my old one while heating more.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2017, 08:31:19 PM »

Is the polar a mild steel boiler? It seems uncanny how similar the Polar and Heatmaster are in design. Wondering how they compare in efficiency?
There are some design differences as well as a slight difference in efficiency see attachment below.

That's cheating
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2017, 12:36:48 AM »

Yup you are right user, in the testing HeatMaster came in slightly ahead of the Polar in efficiency, have you ever been to the lab, the tests can and will be manipulated, did it happen here I don't know, I only posted what we found after Coolidge complained about using considerably more wood this year than he did last year with his P and M 250 the results we found did not surprise me as I found the stack temps pretty high on the HeatMaster unit as well but felt it was pretty good for an easy to operate boiler that it was, that is at least until this last issue.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2017, 08:19:17 AM »

More wood than the pm250? How much more? I have never seen claimed efficiency numbers of the 250 but I can't imagine it is higher than the g200 numbers. As far as I know the 250 worked well when it was working and not plugged though. So if both were gassing than I can see burning the same amount.

Manipulating numbers? How so? Heatmaster is the only company that has published on the internet all of the reports from intertek.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2017, 11:37:25 AM »

Well let's think about it Honda, if the stack temps are high in the HeatMaster and I'm saying around 400 and the Polar and P and M are under 300, they all are gassing and I think the P and M burned the hottest evident by the blue flame rather than a yellow to orange and the BTU output is roughly the same on all three units, them I'm thinking that the tests might not be completely accurate, kind of the same argument another patron of this site and I had a few years ago when he spouted 98 percent Efficiency, that company was sued by EPA to remove those results from their advertising, I'm not saying that HeatMaster has ever done anything like that but let's face it, tests can and are manipulated for the best results every day, personally I was simply trying to help a customer find some answers and then we thought perhaps they should be provided for all to see.

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2017, 01:02:55 PM »

I was impressed with Polar's test #'s. I think they've got a good unit.

But the natural variability of wood burning will vary efficiency quite a bit from test to test. And some things like unused O2 in the exhaust could drop efficiency and be unseen to the eye. I would guess without running weeks of tests it would be hard to know for sure.

They're both good units would be my thought.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2017, 03:55:30 PM »

I have never seen my flue temps north of 340'but I also don't constantly take the flue temp. Every time I have done it the unit has been gassing hard. I see temps 310-340.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2017, 05:42:39 PM »

Yup user they are both good units that are very similar in numbers but do it in different ways,this last issue and the way that it was handled by HeatMasterss and Jake is what soured me as well as them removing me from the dealer finder on their site within days after taking delivery of $50,000 of their product and then refusing to take those defective units back or paying me to repair them, by coincidence I had another person call me today asking what was going on, he wanted a G 200 and it seems he wanted it from me but had trouble finding me, is that really the way to treat a man who has invested so much in (Your Family) , I'll be calling Polar in the morning to place another order, by the way as you probably already know, that family never did pick up that olive branch today!

aarmga

• Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2017, 09:27:55 PM »

Yup user they are both good units that are very similar in numbers but do it in different ways,this last issue and the way that it was handled by HeatMasterss and Jake is what soured me as well as them removing me from the dealer finder on their site within days after taking delivery of $50,000 of their product and then refusing to take those defective units back or paying me to repair them, by coincidence I had another person call me today asking what was going on, he wanted a G 200 and it seems he wanted it from me but had trouble finding me, is that really the way to treat a man who has invested so much in (Your Family) , I'll be calling Polar in the morning to place another order, by the way as you probably already know, that family never did pick up that olive branch today!

I figured the pride would get to them.  This is EXACTLY how a company falls to its knees.  Just give it some time and if they don't shape up they won't be selling product anymore.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
JD 1025r with FEL

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2017, 04:51:28 AM »

you are so right aarmga, when Ryan sought me out a bit over 2 years ago oooooh they were sooo nice and had almost no presence at all here in the Northeast, they even had a hard time getting dealers out to the show in southern Pa and western NY.  Back then they did all they could to promote and protect their name, fast forward about 2 years, now they have a great reputation and presence here with a dealer not afraid to invest not only money but also lots of effort and their head swellls to the point of where we are today.
I have said it before and I'll say it again, they built a very good boiler, they stood behind their products, they stood behind their dealers,  well at least until about the first of 2017 in my case.
Personally I'm thinking that the theory that they have another investor bigger than I here that wants me gone is viable, going through all this because a dealer needs to expand and bring on other product to make a living just makes no sense! Oh well their decision good or bad, I'll move on with or without them, I just hope they continue to support our customers.

aarmga

• Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2017, 11:11:15 PM »

Glad to hear you say that.  U know what matters in this life sand it ain't green
Stihl 211 - 16"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
JD 1025r with FEL

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2017, 06:57:46 PM »

Slim, stopped by and looked at the G2 out front. Looks like the firebox is the same size as the g100. Cabinet was well made with good fit and finish. I did have a question though, what is that slot for above the firebox that you can look straight back to the top of the heat exchanger tubes when you open the door? I also like the middle door for starting a fire. That would be great if you do batch burning. I will be interested to see how the steel nozzle holds up.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2017, 04:41:49 AM »

Yup, I got it and will be sending it soon.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2017, 04:58:01 AM »

I haven't posted here in a while but let's just say that I'm still impressed with the Polar unit and very surprised with the interest at our shows, we just finished my favorite little Fair in Waterford, Maine.
This is a quaint little fair that is very slow paced but with that being said, I took 3 different deposits at that tiny little show. We used the Polar G-2 plus to heat the showers as well as all the hot water for the cook shack, ( quick shout out and Thank You to Logstor for donating the pipe for the showers )
  We are currently at the Ossipee valley music festival and we are heating not only the 2 permanent showers but they again put in 2 more temporary showers for us to heat. There will be over 5000 people here at the show and all our showers will be busy from about 5 am through 11 am and then sporadic through the rest of the day. It's a 4 day show starting Thursday and ending Sunday eve, if you are nearby Please feel free to come on out and enjoy some music and stop by for a few adult beverages at the beer tent or our tent!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9