Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pex fittings  (Read 2321 times)

Clueless

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Pex fittings
« on: May 08, 2017, 08:34:38 AM »

Hello everyone, i shutdown the boiler for summer and i have a bit of maintenance to do. I have a small leak inside my basement where the underground piping comes in the house on the copper side. The leaking union is very close to the insulated pex lines so i think i should take it apart before soldering. So i'll upload a picture of the fittings i need to take apart, i need to know what they are called and how to remove them?

Thanks

Clueless

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Pex fittings
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 08:42:12 AM »

apologies, this should be in plumbing, not advanced plumbing...

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »

apologies, this should be in plumbing, not advanced plumbing...

Fixed. No worries.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Smokeless

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster ss.
  • OWF Model: G-100, 200,400
    • View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 08:16:52 PM »

Hello clueless this is smokeless. LoL
   Those look like Logstor clamp type fittings. This is how to fix them. Shut off all ball valves. Cut the copper near the elbows. Draining the water. Should be able to put a wrench on the brass side fitting preventing it from turning. Then a wrench on the copper piece and spin it apart. Clean the male threads on the brass with a wire brush. Use both pipe sealant first and Teflon tape on the male threads. You need two new 1"copper X 1" female IPS copper adaptor. Cut a  1" copper  x 3" long pice of pipe clean the burr of the inside. Clean and flux and solder together these two pieces. Then cool with wet towel. Look inside you should see a silver ring of solder around the end of pipe. That confirms a good solder joint. Now tighten that onto your brass Logstor adapter. Then when you solder on the long radius 1" cxc elbow put the soaking wet towel on the copper and brass fitting to keep it cool so it don't burn out the thread sealant.  Best of luck. You can do it. I don't see any reason to take the brass fitting off and out of the Logstor?
Signature:
JD 401-c /Honda300atv/CAT 922-B/twofarmallCubs/2135 diesel Massey/8 chain saws/JMSloader/ 2017 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD
HeatMaster/Logstor  dealer for North east area NY VT NH MASS. Sales, installations, troubleshooting of hydronic systems and gasification issues.  Saratoga co, NY

Clueless

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 06:10:08 AM »

Thanks smokeless, that should do it. Easier to work on a bench with one quick solder job on the re-install. I will look up logstor clamp...Thanks

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 07:14:39 AM »

Leak-lock is an amazing pipe dope. Will seal almost anything. My brother in law sold me on it from his experience swapping out old oil boilers, works great but is a bear to take apart later.
I got it on eBay.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com