Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Manure  (Read 1376 times)

patvetzal

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ML36
    • View Profile
Manure
« on: June 19, 2017, 05:25:47 PM »

I had a tenant who dumped a load of mixed pig/cattle manure behind the garage. Tenant is now history and I have got rid of most of the manure. What I couldn't scrape out with the fel I covered with sand/dirt, but the stench remains especially when wet.
Anyone have a suggestion of something that I could work into the sand to kill the smell for my new tenant.
80 acres of Bancroft bush and Ontario rock, a sweet wife, a few chickens, fishing rod, most everything I need....Most of it made by John Deere, Polaris, Stihl, Ruger, Jeep or me...

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Manure
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 07:53:21 AM »

Ugh, the only thing worse than pig crap is chicken crap, both are quite rank no matter what. If it wasn’t for the pig poop the cow crap will start to compost pretty quick on its own as it has a larger percentage of organic matter in it. The pig poop is high in nitrogen and is hard on any bacteria that would normally help decompose.

What I suggest is this, if you can get it then get some barley straw, if not barley straw then wheat or oat straw will work as well, spread it over the area then spread some wheat, oat or rye seed over it and let it grow. Once packed the straw will form a mat and the cereal grains will pull up the nitrogen and ammonia out of the soil, that is if it isn’t too rich in nitrogen and just kills it, if it does spread more straw and try again. This is what a lot of guys did to cap manure lagoons to keep the smell down. A native grass could be planted as well with the cereal grains.

It’s not an immediate solution but should work.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:55:32 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Manure
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 02:38:04 AM »

For immediate help, you might try some of the liquid chemical treatment that is used in porta potties, it can be bought in small quantities at any camping supply company or even in the camping isle at Wal Mart.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.