Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: NH bans all non EPA owb installs  (Read 2909 times)

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: NH bans all non EPA owb installs
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 07:49:48 AM »

Not surprised being on the other left coast.

I suppose though they’ll implement a program to pay for peoples new EPA certified boilers? Such programs are good for dealers of course, not so good for people whose taxes are paying for the program and may never have a OWB.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:02:41 AM »

I didn't even hear a peep about this whole thing. I was surprised to learn about it this morning when someone posted it on the hearth forum.  I'm glad I could afford a gasser, when I had my coventional it was all I could afford at the time. I understand some people can't figure out how to be a good neighbor but we already had laws about owb and how far they needed to be from your neighbor and how high the stack had to be. I can't blame a neighbor from not wanting to be smoked out.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 11:53:10 AM »

Do they allow coal burners there?

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 01:21:41 PM »

Once they all have gassifiers will they let em lower the stacks?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »

I should have clarified on the distance things. So the law was as I remember it, phase 2 boilers had no restrictions on distance or stack height. No new conventionals could be purchased in the state, only used boilers. You could still install a conventional as long as you followed the set back rules which was any boiler within 150 feet of a residence it didn't serve couldn't. Be installed. Over 200 feet but less than 300 needed a stack 3 feet higher than the peak of any building it didn't heat. Over 300 feet no restrictions. My closest neighbor is 400 plus and I know once on a while if everything lined up they got some smoke but the rest of the time I tried to be a good neighbor. Coal burners are allowed unless I missed it.

DeerMeadowFarm

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 02:06:10 PM »

What I find ridiculous about all of this is that living in New England, half the people in the rural areas have wood stoves anyway! You're going to get wood smoke smell during the winter, period. Anyone who burns wood more than one season learns real fast that seasoned hardwood is what gives them the biggest bang for their buck and a by product of that is that it burns clean and less smoky. OWB's got a bad name early on because dealers used to tell potential customers that they could "burn anything" in them. Unfortunately, people burned whatever crappy green wood they could find and smoked out the neighborhoods. Then there were the guys who interpreted burning "anything" too literally and burned every scrap of trash they could stuff in there. Punish the masses for the crimes of the few. How awesome...

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 02:57:29 PM »

What I find ridiculous about all of this is that living in New England, half the people in the rural areas have wood stoves anyway! You're going to get wood smoke smell during the winter, period. Anyone who burns wood more than one season learns real fast that seasoned hardwood is what gives them the biggest bang for their buck and a by product of that is that it burns clean and less smoky. OWB's got a bad name early on because dealers used to tell potential customers that they could "burn anything" in them. Unfortunately, people burned whatever crappy green wood they could find and smoked out the neighborhoods. Then there were the guys who interpreted burning "anything" too literally and burned every scrap of trash they could stuff in there. Punish the masses for the crimes of the few. How awesome...
:post:
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 05:11:14 PM »

What I find funny is the guys who argue up and down they are more efficient by burning green wood. First off no, your losing BTU’s to just boil the water out of the wood. Secondly the only reason you might be a tad more efficient is because you slowed your fire down with green wood so not quite as many BTU’s are lost up the stack before the stove can capture them. No names here, but I personally know of a place that butchers cattle, hogs lamb, deer, etc. All the offal goes in a conventional OWB, you wanna talk about a rank stench.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 05:41:48 PM »

I still stand by the fact that the conventionals are so inefficient at capturing heat that at
The end of the season you end up burning less wood if it is on the greener side vs. the dry side because te wood burns slow(and cold).

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 08:20:54 PM »

County next to us put in place their own regs, pretty much only have to stay 25 foot from the property lines and no stack height requirements, however they are like the 2020 requirements will be, can pretty much only use the smaller two G(s) series there. Now the county to the other side of us hasn’t done much but they have other silly regs. Pour a 10x10 pad for the stove and they’ll add it to the property taxes, keep the pad under a 100 sq ft and it’s exempt.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 08:22:51 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Dieselwrencher

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
    • Scgreenheat.com
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 04:13:19 PM »

I still stand by the fact that the conventionals are so inefficient at capturing heat that at
The end of the season you end up burning less wood if it is on the greener side vs. the dry side because te wood burns slow(and cold).

you have obviously never been around a good conventional stove.  There are a few with multi pass heat exchangers that are darn efficient.
Heatmaster and Crown Royal dealer for southern mn/northern ia