Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Recommended Pex Install  (Read 4843 times)

FlowerFarm

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: In the hunt
    • View Profile
Recommended Pex Install
« on: October 15, 2017, 03:34:40 PM »

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and still reading around old topics.  But I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on which Pex may be the best for my situation?  I read through the option for direct burial, but don't really have a great local option for a foaming contractor.  That being said my local Heatmaster dealer sells the Logstor 1.25" for about $13 a foot.  I also have access to ThermoPex 1" for $11 a foot, or I see that this website, http://www.freeheat4u.com/REHAU-1-INCH-INSULATED-FOAM-FILLED-UNDERGROUND-PIPE_p_41.html is selling their 1 inch at $8.99 a foot.

I am looking at 225' of pipe from my boiler to the house.  From what I can see everyone prefers the 1.25" for larger distances, but is $4 a foot worth it?

Thanks for your thoughts

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Recommended Pex Install
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 06:51:34 PM »

1" is too small for that distance. 1" logstor would be ok though since it is larger.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 07:56:21 PM »

Why so rediculously far away?

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 08:05:03 PM »

Jeff at freeheat4u is great to deal with! But keep in mind that $8.99 doesn't cover shipping. 1" will cover a small heat load, but generally speaking the requirements for a house will require 1-1/4" on a distance like that

FlowerFarm

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 08:52:55 PM »

We are using it to heat our house and two high tunnels.  The placement is in the barn lean-to for access to covered wood, and is much closer to the high tunnels (greenhouses) that it will be heating.  Also, we have to come up behind the house for cellar access.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:55:02 PM by FlowerFarm »

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 10:20:50 PM »

We are using it to heat our house and two high tunnels.  The placement is in the barn lean-to for access to covered wood, and is much closer to the high tunnels (greenhouses) that it will be heating.  Also, we have to come up behind the house for cellar access.

Ah…I take it the “front” of the house has a crawl space or slab preventing access to the basement? Doesn’t take a lot to get a surprising number of feet in a hurry.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

FlowerFarm

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 07:26:38 PM »

Ah…I take it the “front” of the house has a crawl space or slab preventing access to the basement? Doesn’t take a lot to get a surprising number of feet in a hurry.

Exactly. And it seems like everyone is recommending sticking to the logstor.  I'm glad this is just a one time expense.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 09:19:22 PM »

Exactly. And it seems like everyone is recommending sticking to the logstor.  I'm glad this is just a one time expense.

Yah, I bought 250 foot of the stuff when I redid mine.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 09:29:38 PM »

1" is too small for that distance. 1" logstor would be ok though since it is larger.
. Wow my math is out of wack...up here 1 inch is..…is 1 inch ..unless of course were talking ...err our tally Wacker's lol

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »

I went with the 1 1/4 Rheau, 180ft total....good tough crap there!!!!!!!!!!! ::) 8)

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 10:41:51 PM »

. Wow my math is out of wack...up here 1 inch is..…is 1 inch ..unless of course were talking ...err our tally Wacker's lol

Lol, the problem is that Logstor isn't 1", it is metric. If they did use the metric sizing, and converted it, it would be 1-1/4" since the metric is sold by outside diameter. (32mm)
Regular pex is the same outside diameter as copper pipe and that is where the size label comes from. It obviously has to have a thicker wall than copper so you end up with a smaller ID. (wall thickness is a ratio of diameter)

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 06:17:35 AM »

Lol, the problem is that Logstor isn't 1", it is metric. If they did use the metric sizing, and converted it, it would be 1-1/4" since the metric is sold by outside diameter. (32mm)
Regular pex is the same outside diameter as copper pipe and that is where the size label comes from. It obviously has to have a thicker wall than copper so you end up with a smaller ID. (wall thickness is a ratio of diameter)

Yep, one inch PEX is measured by OD, its the same as coper pipe, ID is more like 7/8”. You wouldn’t think 1/8” would matter that much, but it does when you start to do the math.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 07:30:08 AM »

Yep, one inch PEX is measured by OD, its the same as coper pipe, ID is more like 7/8”. You wouldn’t think 1/8” would matter that much, but it does when you start to do the math.
[/quote]

ACTUALLY, copper pipe is measured ID. 1" L copper is full port, with a 1-1/8" OD. 1" PEX also has a 1-1/8" OD, but a 7/8" ID because they measure to the center of the walls to get the 1" figure. Just saying. Ever see how refrigeration pipe and fittings go by 1/8ths? That's because reefer is measured OD to avoid confusion (yeah right) with regular Type M or L. 1-1/8" ACR pipe is exactly the same size as 1" Type L
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 09:11:55 AM by wreckit87 »

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 07:35:54 AM »

1" copper is not all the same size ID. M,L K, are all different sizes ID. The outside is always the same 1/8" more than labeled size.

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 09:13:11 AM »

1" copper is not all the same size ID. M,L K, are all different sizes ID. The outside is always the same 1/8" more than labeled size.

You're correct. Type L is full 1" ID. All I ever use is L, so I had forgotten about the other thicknesses. Good catch!
Pages: [1] 2