Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Noisy g200 fan  (Read 3531 times)

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Noisy g200 fan
« on: October 28, 2017, 09:04:59 AM »

Just fired up the g200 for the 17/18 season. The fan was quiet at first but after about 10 mins it has somewhat of a metal buzzing sound, kind of like two pieces of metal in close contact buzzing togeather. I pressed on the fan shroud housing from the retro kit but that doesn't make a difference. I unplugged it and it stops immiediately as it was winding down. Not sure if it's just something loose or not. I guess we will see.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
Re: Noisy g200 fan
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 10:49:40 AM »

Seems quieter now. Maybe warmed up the metal and tightened up whatever was buzzing.

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 10:52:20 AM »

I'd pull it and check for creosote or ash buildup between the wheel and the housing. You don't want it grinding away.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 08:18:37 PM »

I agree but the fan was cleaned of ash when I cleaned it out in the spring. It was nice and clean. I will have to pull the fan the next few days that I am free. Like I said it seemed to go away after things warmed up. It was more of a slightly loose metal on metal buzzing vibration sound. One of the sounds you can usually get to go away on something if you put pressure in a certain direction.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 06:10:26 AM »

Richard mentioned seeing the welds on the fan housing pop from an unbalanced fan. Any dealers seen that?

shepherd boy

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 07:36:30 AM »

Usually an unbalanced fan is caused by foreign matter on fan. Don't think I have heard of one breaking a weld. Usually noise comes from a dry bearing. If this happened over summer I would suspect that. Do you have a motor or a fan handy if it should fail? If not PM me and we'll see what we can get you.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 09:19:47 AM »

I have the original that came with the unit still which has a failed front bearing, it is usable but noisy and has obvious play in the shaft. That fan was replaced under warranty from when they had some failures due to overheating before the retro air induction kit. I'm leaning towards popped welds until i can actually inspect it since when I unplugged the fan the noise immidietaly went away even as it was winding down. That leads me to think the noise is caused by the electric motor humming. Thank you for the offer Shepard boy. We will see what it find!

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 04:35:25 AM »

I pulled the fan the other day. I found nothing obvious other than a rub mark between the fan housing and the retrofit cooling housing. I bolted everything back togeather and the noise is gone. It must have been something slightly loose rattling away. Thanks for the suggestions.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 03:25:08 PM »

I came home today to 151 degree water and the damper at 100% but no fan running.  I checked voltage at the fan plug and had 0. I pulled the control panel and found a blown fuse number 1. Hmm. I left the fan unplugged and replaced the fuse, now I had power to the fan plug and the fuse didn't blow. I started inspecting the fan wiring and saw that when I had reinstalled the retro fan shroud that I had caught the power wire and pinched it. Whoops. I cut out the pinched section and resoldered and shrink wrapped it. I plugged the fan back in and it started right up. I should know to pay better attention. Oh well, easy fix.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 05:28:06 PM »

Shame on you, pay better attention in the future silly, glad you got it figured out!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »

I came home today to 151 degree water and the damper at 100% but no fan running.  I checked voltage at the fan plug and had 0. I pulled the control panel and found a blown fuse number 1. Hmm. I left the fan unplugged and replaced the fuse, now I had power to the fan plug and the fuse didn't blow. I started inspecting the fan wiring and saw that when I had reinstalled the retro fan shroud that I had caught the power wire and pinched it. Whoops. I cut out the pinched section and resoldered and shrink wrapped it. I plugged the fan back in and it started right up. I should know to pay better attention. Oh well, easy fix.

Don’t feel bad, within a week of upgrading combines and grain heads dad had a slight “issue”, least thats what he said when he called me.

You have a PTO shaft on the head with a 21 spline coupler (1000RPM on a tractor), three hydraulic hoses, the latch itself and an electrical harness to unplug before setting it on the head cart for transport. He got everything but the wiring harness disconnected and forgot about it, backed away from the head and the harness didn’t stand a chance against a 25,000lb combine. Real cute plug too, looks like a standard 7pin round trailer plug like a semi uses, except then they managed to squeeze another baby pin or socket between the large pins and sockets then another four pins and sockets around the center terminal for a total of like 17 potential connections. Was a real joy to disassemble then reconnect all the wires.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 07:25:10 PM »

Yeah, I should be glad it was just one wire and not inside a connector!

E Yoder

• OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 03:09:25 AM »

Sounds like something I would do. Chuckle..
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com