Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Looking for advice on radiators  (Read 5180 times)

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for advice on radiators
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 01:41:32 PM »

I just took the radiator cover off and see that it is ported to vent from the top. So thats good. As far as heat extremes I will only be using the boiler in the fall and winter and even then sporatically. When I have more time I will look at hooking in the radiant floor too but for now I just need heat right away.Like by tomorrow. This is my best solution for the time frame I have.
Thanks to you guys for the help.  :) :thumbup:

I thought so, as I'd never seen one without at least one tap on top. Glad you found them! When you tie in the radiant floor, please consider separating it from the boiler loop with a plate exchanger to make a closed loop and running it off its own pump. Hope everything works out well, good luck!

markpallen

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: wood doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 03:45:47 PM »

If I do as you suggest that would allow me to run glycol in the slab , just in case....
Is that why you suggest this option over using a mixing valve?

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 04:22:34 PM »

If I do as you suggest that would allow me to run glycol in the slab , just in case....
Is that why you suggest this option over using a mixing valve?

Multitude of reasons, but one of them is to add glycol, yes. You'll still need a mixing valve to temper water/glycol to the slab, as 160-180 or whatever temp your boiler water is is too high for a slab both for concrete longevity and efficiency. Too hot of water wastes fuel as well as heats the slab too fast which often overshoots the room temp excessively after the air temp reaches the setpoint but the floor is still 100+ degrees. This is also very uncomfortable on bare feet. Slabs should be mixed down to 100ish degrees ideally. Another reason I recommend exchangers is corrosion and sediment. Floors are often the low point in a system, and any sediment will settle to the bottom, eventually plugging the floor loops. This is why they recommend oxygen barrier PEX for slabs, because any oxidation (rust) from pump impellers or any ferrous piping, fittings, sediment in your domestic water, etc will do the same in an atmospheric system such as an outdoor boiler. Premixed glycol is inhibited, as well as diluted with deionized water which has absolutely no mineral or sediment in it to settle to the bottom. When converted to a closed system, the whole system is now completely isolated from oxygen and therefore cannot oxidize, allowing ferrous material if you want it. Fluid transfer is also much easier on the pump under pressure vs atmospheric.

markpallen

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 07:23:16 PM »

Ok thanks. That makes sense.  Any chance you can sketch what it would plumb like with the exchanger and mix valve gping to the slab manifold. Or direct me to a schematic.

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 06:25:01 AM »

Ok thanks. That makes sense.  Any chance you can sketch what it would plumb like with the exchanger and mix valve gping to the slab manifold. Or direct me to a schematic.

I have a rough schematic in my phone that I drew for another forum-goer with the same issue recently, but I have absolutely no idea how to link a picture here. It tells me the file is too large. If you can maybe PM me your email, I can send it over that way?

markpallen

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 11:34:31 AM »

A pm has been sent. Many thanks.
Pages: 1 [2]