Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hook up outside wood stove to inside oil boiler  (Read 12704 times)

Greek

• OWF Brand: Hicks
    • View Profile
Hook up outside wood stove to inside oil boiler
« on: January 01, 2012, 08:23:16 PM »

I am installing a used Hicks outdoor wood stove.  I want to hook it up to my oil boiler.  It is a closed system with hot water baseboard heaters.  I need to know how to install my outdoor stove to my boiler.  Can you please help in the directions and what I need to install the stove to the boiler.  I know that if I don't do it the right way, it will drain the system.  Any informatiion can help, or where I can get help.

Thanks

RGrimes

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
Re: Hook up outside wood stove to inside oil boiler
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 08:26:01 PM »

Welcome to the site Greek, we have others on here with that setup and I am sure they will be along shortly to help you out.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

Greek

• OWF Brand: Hicks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 08:30:40 PM »

Bull,
Thanks for the info.

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 08:34:13 PM »

a sidearm is my thinking this way both are separte willeg has a neat one that i will try to copy welcom to the site
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 10:59:43 PM »

You will need a flat plate heat exchanger or a large shell in tube heat exchanger.
The size you need depends on the operating temperature of both the wood burner and the oil boiler and how much heat you need in the house.
40 to 60 plate are common sizes used.

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 04:10:39 AM »

I am installing a used Hicks outdoor wood stove.  I want to hook it up to my oil boiler.  It is a closed system with hot water baseboard heaters.  I need to know how to install my outdoor stove to my boiler.  Can you please help in the directions and what I need to install the stove to the boiler.  I know that if I don't do it the right way, it will drain the system.  Any informatiion can help, or where I can get help.

Thanks

RGrimes

Welcome to the site Greek.  You'll find many knowledgeable people on this site who are willing to help out they best they can.

I have a Central Boiler E-Classic 1400 that is connected to my oil furnace.  This was done in the event I lose the fire in the OWB, the oil furnace will take over the duties.  If I get a bit of time today, I'll take pics of my set up and post them for you to see with a narrative of the theory behind it.  It has worked flawlessly for me. 

Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 05:17:03 AM »

Welcome to sight Greek .RSI has already mentioned using a flat plate HX. That is the way I have mine tied into my  existing Oil boiler. I used a 60 plate and it works fine. That way your existing is kept a presurized system and OWB is non presurized. The owb with HX heats your existing boiler loop which remaims intact.
Piping in pic on left side is from OWB right side is returns from heating system going back to Oil boiler. Pump circulates water through HX 24/7 which maintains water temp. By pass is installed from oil boiler  supply back to HX inlet. I think there is a pic of return in gallery under mikenc. If not i will try and post one. Hope this helps.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 05:31:47 AM by mikenc »

johnybcold

• OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 06:43:45 AM »

How to install your unit man I went crazy looking into that when I did mine, there are different ways and they can all be correct ( in my newbie opinion) it depends on how your boiler is set up and what kind you have, I was going to use a exchanger but after reading that there is a 20% heat loss in the exchange and the need for another pump I just did a direct hookup to the boiler with one pump outside
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

johnybcold

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 07:07:12 AM »

Central boiler has some good install diagrams on there site
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

Ridgekid

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 07:14:59 AM »

:post:

Even if it's not exactly what your looking for, CB does provide some good guidelines for installation.

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »

How to install your unit man I went crazy looking into that when I did mine, there are different ways and they can all be correct ( in my newbie opinion) it depends on how your boiler is set up and what kind you have, I was going to use a exchanger but after reading that there is a 20% heat loss in the exchange and the need for another pump I just did a direct hookup to the boiler with one pump outside
Are you pressurizing your 1400 or are you running indoor boiler without pressure?
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 04:54:53 PM »

Are you pressurizing your 1400 or are you running indoor boiler without pressure?
Only way way to hook up a CB 1400 or any "open OWB" direct (no heat exchangers)  is to depressurized the existing one in your basement..One problem doing that being a open system (owb) is that all your house heating  plumbing is now exposed to the atmosphere (oxygen)..Also the boiler has to be higher than your house other wise you will drain the heating pipes. Friend of mine hooked up a cb boiler at first with no heat exchangers..Boiler is below house grade..It completely drain the water out of his baseboard heat pipes..Water was coming  out of the top vent..He had to add the heat exchangers
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

johnybcold

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 08:25:30 PM »

My boiler is not pressurized and I have no clue it the outdoor unit is higher then the indoor furnace I have been using it for 2 weeks it seems to be working ok
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »

This is a pic of the return to the OWB.  The angle of the ball valve.  It allows a bit of restriction in the water line to keep the oil furnace pressurized.
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 10:22:08 AM »

Perhaps I should show the incoming connections as well.  The black thing is a thermostatic valve.  It will only allow the heated water from the OWB to circulate through the system if the water temp is greater than 150 degrees.  Anything less than that, the valve will not allow the water through, it will be returned to the OWB for reheating.  It has something to do with condensation if the water is less than 150 degrees.   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire