Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: t in water heater supply  (Read 3333 times)

d conover

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
t in water heater supply
« on: September 27, 2013, 08:09:40 AM »

When I installed my H4 last fall I was in a hurry and did not make a provision to flush the copper lines that are in the boiler for domestic hot water.

I have noticed a decrease in hot water pressure so it is time to flush them out.  On my H2 I had to flush every fall. due to lime build up.

It is plumbed with Wirsbo and I have the Milwalkee tool as well as the cinch tool. So I have a couple of options.

I was thinking of getting the expensive 3/4 wirsbo ball valves since they are full port, and putting a tee above it that will hook to water hose. 
I have to buy a new pump, after about 12 years the acid ate a hole in my old one.

Anyone have any better ideas?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:18:25 AM by hd5 »
Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

f150bft

• OWF Model: H-4
  • "Never argue with a fool" in North East Tennessee
    • View Profile
Re: t in water heater supply
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 07:50:56 AM »

I have my electric hot water heater still in the system but serving as a hot water storage tank. I figure all the sediment will lay in the bottom of it and I can flush it out with the drain on the tank as needed.
Husqvarna Rancher 460
Homelite Super XL
1992 F150
1970 Wheel Horse Raider 12
1966 Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger
2009 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic
N.E. Tennessee

d conover

• OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 07:22:22 AM »

I still haven't flushed the copper lines inside the Hardy.  They are so limed up now we lost almost all our hot water. So I am bypassing the Hardy until I can get the lines cleaned out.

I did buy a Brasscraft tankless water heater isolation valve set.  I think it will work good to clean the lines out.
  Now to figure out what to flush the lines with, white vinegar?  I used to use diluted muriatic acid in my old H2 until my brother in law ate through the copper lines in his H2 and had to replace them.

For those not familiar with Hardy, they have 2 separate 3/4" water lines that run through a 100' of copper tubing inside the water jacket of the boiler.  In the area where we live lime build up is extreme...  It does not affect pex or pvc but in a years time it will all but close off copper that is subjected to heat such as in a boiler
Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 11:45:20 AM »

If $$$ is no object I would look for a good WEBSTONE valve, they have some pretty good valves, that have an integrated fill port.  Also since you have Uponor (formerly wirsbo piping) I would use the Milwaukee expansion tool, yeah fittings and rings may be a little more but fitting have a larger ID, which equals MORE WATER = longer showers, which might equal happier wife  ;)