Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wood Consumption  (Read 8271 times)

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
Re: Wood Consumption
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 03:51:45 PM »

airflpw issue in secondary chamber?

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 07:23:30 PM »

So yesterday I started cleaning, rebuilding Optimizer, I found the nozzle was approx. 1.5" lower than base, thus not gassing properly. :bash:

I have contacted Heatmaster.
Western Maine

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 07:26:16 AM »

nozzle placement is key. the secondary tubes from the airbox that line up with tje refractory has to be a flush and tight seal! I would also male sure your smple bypass is sealing tight. even the smallest air leak will cause high stacl temps and incomple combustion.

keep us updated!!!

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2017, 07:33:49 AM »

I'm confused, did you mean the G200 or the optimizer had a wrong nozzle?
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 07:45:52 AM »

Optimizer had a bad nozzle.

Funny thing is my G200 never goes above 250, am going to get a new thermometer to check that though.

Smoke bypass is on my hit list to check out Monday.
Western Maine

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 06:54:22 AM »

Placed a tall tote cage of wood 12/7, ran the sidewalk for 16 hours 12/9, still have 2 layers of wood left in the cage on 12/12. Figure it takes three tall cages to make a cord, or 4 short cages, takes five of whats left of plastic tubs I screw to pallets. I’ll probably place another cage this afternoon when I have the Bobcat fired up to change totes of glycerin/jam I use in the cow feed.

So roughly a 1/3 of a cord of wood in 5 days. 2800sqft of house plus DHW, 1850sqft of shop plus 110 plus odd feet of sidewalk.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 07:43:50 AM »

sounds about right. I use the short metal cages, I will be interesting to see how long one lasts me. I think they each hold just under a FC, so you saying that 4 equals a cord seems about right to me.

I attached a picture of the load I put in at 230pm yesterday afternoon. This load consisted of 50% seasoned oak/cherry and 50% green slab oak. That big hunk of wet oak in the middle was a monster. weighed about 50lbs. doesn't look as big in the pic. Anyways, this load lasted me until 530am this morning. so 15hrs give or take. it was down into the teens last night and I live on a hill where the winds are out of control. Last night I was heating 4400sqft. 3400 sqft house (good insulation 2 x 6 construction built in 2005) at 70, 400sqft at 75 (puppy whelping room, spray foamed and r30 in the ceiling) and 600sqft shop at 45 (shop has no insulation in the ceiling, haven't gotten around to it yet. on a cold night from keeping an eye on the digital temps sensors in the house I figure the 100k btu heat exchanger in the shop runs on average of 25-30min per hour). There wasn't much left but a light coal bed, but I was happy! I placed a nice split over the nozzle, packed the little remaining ash/coal mix around that spit and stacked her up good with the same seasoned/green slab mix. so far it is working right. still getting used to heat load and wood needed tho, it will take a month or so for me to get it down right and proper.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 11:15:30 AM »

Must be nice.
Western Maine

Jon_E

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G200 Gasifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 11:39:32 AM »

I put my G200 in on January 4, 2017 and it has been operating 24/7 since that day, to supply domestic hot water and heat.  I did not keep track of wood usage until 01 October, when I started taking wood from a full wood shed.  Best estimate, I have burned just about 1-1/2 cords of wood since 01 October.   Might be a little more since I filled it a half-dozen times with splitter trash and ugly chunks that weren't in the wood shed.  I think I'm about 40% lower in consumption on average than I was with my old wood boiler.  I heat 4300 square feet of a 12-year-old timberframe/SIP hybrid home.  Also DHW for 4 people daily, sometimes more when family visits.  I am going to be adding a significant heat load in a couple of weeks, being a partially insulated 800 sf garage with a second floor loft.  I think my wood use will jump back up quite a bit until I get the garage insulated and the temp stabilized.  I plan on keeping it around 55-60 degrees.  Enough to work in a tee shirt but not warm enough to sweat.
Firewood collector and hot water enthusiast.

mf40diesel

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 01:19:56 PM »

We are heating almost 3700 ft2 to 68 with about 500 ft2 garage heated to 40. Plus 4 users of DHW, 3 of them heavy users ( bet you can guess who’s not the heaviest user ;).

Fired up Nov 1, so about 2.2 cords of dry but crappy wood.  A lot of poplar. Like a real lot.

This in western Maine, on a very exposed hill, with our great room facing the wind and a huge amount of glass.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 03:49:55 PM »

Got 4 days from a half cord, that's my worst so far.
Western Maine

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 07:00:16 PM »

Got 4 days from a half cord, that’s my worst so far

Have you got a heatmaster dealer scheduled to come out and diagnose The issue?? If not I would call them back Monday and demand that you have a dealer come out right away to find the problem
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 08:43:15 PM by mlappin »

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2017, 09:21:02 PM »

No snow melt this time, wasn’t near as cold either, short cage which is a 1/4 of a cord lasted 5 days.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2017, 02:05:51 AM »

not bad

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2017, 09:30:16 AM »

I was pretty proud of mine yesterday. Tossed a wheelbarrow full in at 9am yesterday and went about my business as usual. Ended up stopping "for a beer" at a buddy's place and got home at 5am this morning to find 155 on the Ranco and a decent bed of coals in the chamber. 20 hour burn on 8 blocks of wood at 25 degrees
Pages: 1 [2] 3