Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Oil or propane?  (Read 2842 times)

coolidge

• View Profile
Oil or propane?
« on: December 17, 2017, 06:15:07 PM »

I have an existing oil boiler, not working, rotted out. I don't have the tank anymore and it would be quite a job to replum one, but doable.

I do however have my Rinnia for summer domestic, would it be more feasible to just put a propane boiler in the Rinnia spot.

I know oil has more btu output per gallon.

Or I could buy a waste oil burner, know a guy that refines 8000 gallons per year, could get that cheap, so he says.
Western Maine

Smokeless

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster ss.
  • OWF Model: G-100, 200,400
    • View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
Re: Oil or propane?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 06:52:13 PM »

I put in a IBC high efficiency propane two weeks ago, for a new house and future wood furnace install. He has infloor radiant in concrete. Says the thing hardly runs and is so quite. I told him it will never run with the wood furnace hooked on to the heat exchanger. That model n size DC 20-125 dual condensing combi boiler.

Signature:
JD 401-c /Honda300atv/CAT 922-B/twofarmallCubs/2135 diesel Massey/8 chain saws/JMSloader/ 2017 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD
HeatMaster/Logstor  dealer for North east area NY VT NH MASS. Sales, installations, troubleshooting of hydronic systems and gasification issues.  Saratoga co, NY

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 07:18:30 PM »

I'm a gas fan myself, really liking the modulating and condensing HE boilers for low temp radiant floors. Lochinvar has done me really well commercially and I've grown to love the Bosch Greenstar residentially. Even had good luck with a few of the cheap Westinghouse units from Menards. The combi part to heat domestic water is a nice added feature! The only downfall to these HE units is the need for maintenance every couple years to clean the HX and whatnot. High temp I'd lean toward a conventional cast iron sectional like a Slant Fin VHS or VPSH.

Farmer Rob

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 02:14:41 PM »

I put in a IBC high efficiency propane two weeks ago, for a new house and future wood furnace install. He has infloor radiant in concrete. Says the thing hardly runs and is so quite. I told him it will never run with the wood furnace hooked on to the heat exchanger. That model n size DC 20-125 dual condensing combi boiler.
I have to ask since I am new to this site and the letters used but what is a (IBC)?

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 09:31:27 AM »

I have to ask since I am new to this site and the letters used but what is a (IBC)?

http://ibcboiler.com/

Welcome Farmer Rob.   :thumbup:
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 07:14:08 PM »

I know oil has more btu output per gallon.

Price per btu is almost always lower for propane than for fuel oil.

Farmer Rob

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 06:25:17 AM »

http://ibcboiler.com/

Welcome Farmer Rob.   :thumbup:
Thank you for the link about the IBC boiler and also I hope to learn much from this group so I do not make mistake when is time to buy my unit