Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Gassing so hard it's vibrating - Christmas 2017  (Read 1959 times)

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
Gassing so hard it's vibrating - Christmas 2017
« on: December 25, 2017, 10:01:59 PM »

Just sitting here enjoying some quiet after the storm. Been a busy few days with kids and family. Sitting here watching the snow fall and the stream roll out of the G200. We have frigid temps setting in, currently -2°F.. Coldest night we have Sweden yet this year. I loaded the stove around 6pm with all 3 inch dead ash rounds cut to about 22", we pulled them out of the tree lines this past weekend. It is some dry stuff. I loaded about 6 inches above for frame. I loaded this same way there night before. Maaaaaaaan, these loads of extremely small rounds and low MC have this thing gassing harder than I have ever seen it. Stack temps are averaging 400-460 on the part 2 cycles and cycle times have been 15-18 min from start to finish!!! Normally over the past few w eeks even when burning seasoned oak I haven't seen a stack temp past 380. I went out to check on it when I seen a reading at 440 just put out curiosity and it looked like the gates of heaven in the site glass- pure white! It was gassing so hard the stove sounded like it was vibrating!!!!! :o I'm sure the extremely dry ash and smaller rounds have been running it rich, but boy was it a sight to see! This thing is definitely a work horse!!

Just bored and figured I jab a few lines. Really impressed with this stove so far!!!

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Gassing so hard it's vibrating - Christmas 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 10:09:22 PM »

This is were mixing bigger pieces in comes in to play.

I had mine under a full load today, sidewalk running, house calling for heat, wife doing breakfast dishes and laundry and a few things in and out of the shop today before heading to my Dads for Christmas. I loaded with larger pieces on purpose just for this reason, ran between 172 and 176 for a solid 5 hours.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 05:26:09 AM »

I love this cold weather. Really make it run full throttle.
Like mlappin said, larger pieces will even things out. It's a hoot to hear it hiss and grumble though under a full load, a lot of heat transferring over and out to the buildings.
When I walk by the chip burner I have to stop and watch. Chips falling, sheets of flame, that hiss of almost boiling water around the tubes... Half a million btu's traveling steadily inside.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 06:23:02 AM »

It's a pretty cool deal! All my larger pieces were under tarps and I didn't feel like messing with it last night.....to damn cold! This morning I loaded back up with a variety of big and small....that load of small rounds still got me 12hrd at -5 last night heating 4400 sqft...I'm impressed! Beautiful coal bed left at 730am this morning

Jon_E

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G200 Gasifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 10:20:13 AM »

Mine is running beautifully with the cold temps.  Mostly locust, white oak and ash in the last few loads.  Got a good 6"+ depth of big coals in the bottom of the firebox.  Loading at 0700 and 1700 every day.
Firewood collector and hot water enthusiast.