Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Burn time in cold temps  (Read 6735 times)

donniet79

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF5000E
    • View Profile
Burn time in cold temps
« on: December 31, 2017, 05:52:25 AM »

-19 this morning and it was -12 last night when I filled my stove. I filled it at 8:30 last night and when I say filled, I mean filled. I checked a couple of pieces of wood that I threw in and they were both 18% moisture reading. Had my damper set at 60%. It probably would have made it 12 hours, but I didn’t want to have to have to fight with it to get it back piping again. My house is ~1800sq ft kepping it at 75 all of the time, also doing dhw and my garage is 1080sq ft using in floor and keeping it at 65 all of the time. Just wondering if that is a decent burn out of this stove in these temps? House is a bit drafty in spots
2002 F250 7.3L
Husqvarna 359
Northstar 37 Ton Log Splitter

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Burn time in cold temps
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 06:15:45 AM »

It sounds like the house may not be insulated very well or you need new windows to stop the drafts. I don’t have a lot of experience with the MF series so I can’t say for sure. How well insulated is the garage as well?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

donniet79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 06:23:13 AM »

I had new windows put in a few years ago, but that's where the air seems to be coming through. I'll have to tear some outside walls out when it warms up a bit and see if I can get those sealed up. Built my garage a couple of years ago and it is 2x4 walls with r-13 insulation, attic is blown in to about r-30, under slab is 2" insulation and around the edge of slab is 1".
2002 F250 7.3L
Husqvarna 359

wreckit87

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 09:26:49 AM »

What kind of wood are you using and how are you stacking it? What was your water temp this morning and what did you have left for coals? The firebox on the 5000 isn't huge, but you're also keeping things pretty warm- I'd say that's about par for the course to burn a full load in 10 hours. I'm not far away from you and have essentially the same stove but the next size up, and burned about the same amount as you of 20ish percent MC oak. My firebox is 50% bigger than yours but I was only about half full. Then again my shop is 1600 sq ft and super insulated but only 52 degrees. House is 2800 with a spray foamed walkout basement and a somewhat drafty upper level with 2x6 walls and fiberglass, mid grade windows- only kept at 71. Mine has been fantastic in terms of consumption up until the last couple days, so it must be pretty darn cold out there. I'd say you did just fine

donniet79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 09:38:29 AM »

Burning 100% oak. Water temp was at 172 on the stove and as far as coals there were a quite a bit. After raking them they were just under the door opening from front to back. I stacked 2 rows deep running parallel with grates totally filled box slightly loose, not stacked tightly. I think it was you that I had talked to before about stacking opposite of the grates. I may try that again because in the milder weather when I tried that, it seemed to do pretty good.
2002 F250 7.3L
Husqvarna 359

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 09:43:19 AM »

Seeing as they're essentially the same stove, I would say you'll have better luck stacking perpendicular as I do. It was night and day difference for me, especially in terms of burning up the coals instead of having 10 gallons of them like you did this morning. I had about 2 gallons of coals left after I raked them, just a nice bed to cover the grates a couple inches thick.

donniet79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 09:52:36 AM »

I already filled it this morning, but I'll give that a try this evening when I load it again. It's supposed to be cold again tonight, which I'm sure you're well aware of. 10 day forecast is showing we may get above 0 by next Saturday.
2002 F250 7.3L
Husqvarna 359

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 11:52:49 AM »

Darin. You have the c375 right? Doesn’t  that thing have a  36 cubic feet firebox? You used 18 cubic feet of wood in a loading?

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 01:19:10 PM »

Darin. You have the c375 right? Doesn’t  that thing have a  36 cubic feet firebox? You used 18 cubic feet of wood in a loading?

I suppose that does sound ridiculous doesn't it? My "half full" is halfway top to bottom with 20" blocks stacked perpendicular to the grate and nothing on the sides. So doing the math here 40 deep by 20 wide by 18 tall (half full, by my standards) makes right at 9 Cu Ft. Guess it was only 1/4 full. But still twice as much wood as I was putting in it a week ago. Last few days have been very hard on the wood pile. About 3.5 wheelbarrow loads a day. Daytime uses almost none but night is bad

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 01:49:50 PM »

I’m right with you on being hard on the wood pile. I just burned 53 cubic feet in the last six days. At 14 loading that is 4.41 cubic feet per loading. That is more than double what I was burning with highs in the 30s and lows around 15.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 04:57:38 PM »

I’m right with you on being hard on the wood pile. I just burned 53 cubic feet in the last six days. At 14 loading that is 4.41 cubic feet per loading. That is more than double what I was burning with highs in the 30s and lows around 15.

Trade you?
Western Maine

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 05:31:32 PM »

Grady, heatmaster was going to take care of your situation two weeks ago until you told them that you were just going to put your optimizer back in I thought. What’s the deal man? Just let them take care of it, I think everything was going to be all set until you told them that you were all set and were going to just put your optimizer back in. I even spent an hour on the phone with Ryan to get you on the right tracks and get your boiler on track to be fixed. Just let them fix it.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 05:55:37 PM »

Talking to Ryan after the holidays.
Western Maine

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 06:02:15 PM »

Sounds great. Hopefully you guys can get back on the tracks and know that you aren’t all set with your pm and need to get this one figured out. Have you been talking to our dealer yet?

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 09:16:21 PM »

I really hope they can get this figured out for yah Coolidge.

I thought today I was really chewing thru the wood, barely having a short tote cage last three days. Until I started thinking about it which would only be 2 1/2 cords a month as a short tote is roughly a 1/4 cord. Have set a new record low high during that time as well. Have had a short cage last 5 1/2 days when we had more normal winter temps for our area.

My problem is the shop, wood consumption is barely worth mentioning for just the house. Shop is a old cow barn, no vapor barrier even under the floor. Hate to spend a whole bunch re insulating as it would still be too low to ever get a combine in and too narrow to ever unfold a 16 row planter in.

The dealer that sold you this stove should be resolving this situation if they really cared about their customers.

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana
Pages: [1] 2 3