Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: CB EDGE compared to HEATMASTER  (Read 4147 times)

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
CB EDGE compared to HEATMASTER
« on: August 24, 2018, 12:30:43 AM »

Hi guys, maybe I should be posting this on CB's forum also but in think Roger monitors Heatmaster too.

A buddy of mine is going to get a new OWB and he is comparing the CB Edge 550 like you just got Roger to the Heatmaster G200 and GS200. He is asking me about them because I have the G200 now going on my 3rd season. Does anyone have experience comparing the 2 brands? I am not sure how long the CB Edge models have been out. Is this also a 409 stainless like Heatmaster? His numbers show the Heatmaster more expensive even for the GS200. Are they comparably sized units?

Any info I can pass along would be helpful. I know he likes the Heatmaster dealer I recommended better but I don't know much about the CB unit.

Thanks   
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: CB EDGE compared to HEATMASTER
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 01:22:30 AM »

One thing to consider though, on a Heatmaster anything that contacts water or fire is 409 while unless something has changed, its just the firebox on a Edge that’s 409.

That and Heatmaster still has the better warranty hands down.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 04:49:42 AM »

I just got my Edge 550 this spring so I haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces yet.  It's difficult to give someone an opinion without running it for a couple of years.  It's like getting a new car; the manufacturer sends you the questionnaire a month after you purchased it asking if it's running to expectation.  It had better run to expectation after only a month of operating it!  Call me after a few years and I'll have an honest answer for you.  It's no different with OWB's, give me a couple of seasons and I'll give you my honest assessment of it.  If it runs like my 1400 did for the past 7 years, I'll love it. 

Here's a list of improvements comparing the 2011 E-Classic 1400 to the 2018 Edge 550

1400 - welded in place air channel, pain the back side to clean and took approximately a 1/2 hour to clean them;  550 - removable air channel to aid in cleaning, should take no longer than a few minutes to clean.
1400 - Had solenoids to open and close the primary and secondary air channels;  550 - uses stepper motors, claims to be more robust.  Time will tell
1400 - solenoids and blower in the rear;  550 - stepper motors and blower in front below fire door.
1400 - one solid heat exchanger that was a pain in the back side to clean accessed through a small door;  550 - heat exchanger in the rear accessed by removing a panel and opening the heavily insulated door.  Will use a brush used in cleaning the oil furnace heat exchanger to clean.  I'm thinking that I can affix it to my drill motor and run it high speed to get a nice clean surface.
1400 - Did not come with wifi;  550 - has wifi and I'll be able to monitor it anywhere there's wifi, plus I'll be able to make some changes without having to be at the OWB. 

Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 07:24:03 AM »

Comparing GS/G200 to what I know of the CB550.

232,000 btu's on the G200, 178,000 on the Edge 550.
G200 has larger firebox door and slightly larger firebox volume (not a lot).
G/GS20 flue cleaning is by shaking external shaker handle. Edge 550 cleaning by removing panel and using poker or brush.
G200 air channels are self draining open bottom, Edge 550 are removable by taking off acorn nuts, I think?
G200 has a suction draft fan, pulls smoke away. Smoke bypass power vents smoke out the back. Edge 550 is a pusher fan, not sure which models have a bypass, not power vented.
GS/G200 is all 10 and 12g.  409 SS, Edge uses 409 firebox, mild steel water jacket (I heard 10 g. on both).
CB Edge has WiFi option, Heatmaster does not.
As far as warranty goes reading reviews online probably is more accurate than what's on paper.

HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 01:47:47 PM »

i can say from personal experience that Heatmaster has a good warranty and stands behind their stoves

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 02:24:04 PM »

Here's my main take on the two. Heatmaster has been using 409 stainless steel for a VERY long time. Central just started with this stove.  Everyone is moving to 409. Welcome to the club CB.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

Superwd6

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: EClassic 2300
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 08:42:22 AM »

Heatmaster for the win.i don’t have either stove but have done enough research on both units and after 28 years of heating industry doing mostly service my mind is made up 8)