Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wiring Aquastat to draft fan?  (Read 4061 times)

creeker

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Homemade
  • OWF Model: Other
    • View Profile
Wiring Aquastat to draft fan?
« on: January 21, 2013, 03:38:11 PM »

Okay, sorry if this has been discussed, but I was unable to turn up any answers via the search function.

I have a well immersed aquastat 6006 that I am trying to use to turn on my draft fan when the water temperature reaches a certain low temperature.  I took it in to a local heating/cooling place today and he said to run a Hot wire to the "R" on the aquastat and then from the "W" to the fan. 

He said this should be all there is to it, but I looked at it when I got home and I feel like I am missing something completely.  Grant it, I am no electrician by any means.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring Aquastat to draft fan?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 04:12:42 PM »

if you are wiring your self and not through any  cicuit board then you might try this

from power supply ...black  wire to aquastat...black wire out to black on blower..white wire from blower to white wire from supply (all you really did was make the aquastat do the same thing as a light switch)

temp cools to aquasta ON setting and aquastat closes making circuit...aquastat reaches OFF setting and aquastat opens cutting power to circuit

i did it this way but i put a switch in ahead of everything so i can cut the power to the OWB at will (great for shutting blower off when refilling)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

creeker

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 06:01:46 PM »

What I have currently is power run to the boiler with a switch and a outlet.  I have the outlet wired to turn on and off with the switch.  Maybe I am over complicating it, but would I just pull power off the outlet to the aquastat, to the blower and back???

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 06:05:56 PM »

What I have currently is power run to the boiler with a switch and a outlet.  I have the outlet wired to turn on and off with the switch.  Maybe I am over complicating it, but would I just pull power off the outlet to the aquastat, to the blower and back???

seems YES  black from outlet to aquastat..other side of aquastat to black on blower...white from blower back to white on outlet  aquastat will control blower when outlet is powered..when outlet is not powered nothing works
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

creeker

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 06:09:05 PM »

Okay, thanks for all your help.  I will give it a try tomorrow and see if I have any luck!