Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: connecting to logstor  (Read 2674 times)

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
connecting to logstor
« on: December 28, 2017, 06:58:18 PM »

I'm hooking my wood boiler back up at our new house and I was wondering what is the best way to connect 1" copper to my logstor? I was using some compression fittings that I think were for 1" pex and I'm pretty sure that's why I had a leak last spring.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

U.P. Doug

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
  • Rudyard, Michigan Upper Penninsula
    • View Profile
Re: connecting to logstor
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 07:43:41 PM »

I used compression fittings that I bought with my Logstor. Can’t remember the name of the dealer, but it was in Ohio. Worked well, no issues with them.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 07:56:03 PM »

Fittings for 1" PEX wouldn't get anywhere near a seal on Logstor. I use 1-1/4" crimp fittings and double the crimp rings since Logstor is thinner wall than 1-1/4" PEX but the same ID. A guy can get the crimp fittings from supplyhouse.com as of a month or two ago, if you have access to a crimper. DudaDiesel sells some 32mm compression x 1"FPT adapters that you could screw a copper sweat male adapter into for like $6 apiece. I don't like the compression outside because they can separate if the ground heaves, they can pull apart and leak. Have also seen folks just grab a regular old 1-1/4" barb fitting from the hardware store and heat the pipe up to pound them in, and use a hose clamp or two. Several ways to go about it really

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 08:16:34 PM »

I think the compression fittings I used were for 1" pex-al-pex as that was what my first piping was. For my connection at the boiler I used the same fitting then a piece of copper then a piece of heater hose then back to copper on the boiler connections. The heater hose makes the connection flexable. I was hoping maybe to find a better connection maybe I will look to where I got the logstor from.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 09:17:24 PM »

St Hilaire supply actually has the proper crimp fittings for Logstor. I used the compression fittings for it and haven’t had any issues yet.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana