Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Boiler overheated. advice on adding water later?  (Read 3552 times)

silver star

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Boiler overheated. advice on adding water later?
« on: November 22, 2015, 08:13:49 AM »

I found my damper wasn't opening this morning and used a shim to keep it open.  The fire took right off, but worke too well but guess   I had steam coming out the pop off valve     

I suppose i will need to add some water. It isn't blowing now.

Any thoughts? I saw another post about lubing the damper. I will look at that inthe interim
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 10:30:35 PM by Sloppy_Snood »
Husbands must learn to forget their mistakes. No reason two people should remember them forever.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: Boiler overheated.advise on adding water later?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 08:53:49 AM »

Creosote issues probably causing that. Clean up the hinge and lube. Try to reduce creosote build up, how much wood are you loading? Are you shooting for 12 hour loading intervals?

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 09:17:45 AM »

Check your water level. If it didn't boil very long, odds are it will take little if any water. If it does need a substantial amount of water, test your water after its had time to circulate to see if the corrosion inhibitor and pH levels are still good.

As far as the damper,  was it stuck shut from creosote or is the solinoid not working?  Pull the cover and give it a good shot of wd40.  If it still don't work, its a cheap and easy fix to replace.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

silver star

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »

I just got back from looking it over.   I do have some creosote buildup but founf i had a blown fuse.

As far as loading, I filled it pretty good, hoping to get a couple days worth.   I suppose that contributed?   

Regardlees of mild temperature i still should load 12 hour intervals? This is my second season with the he boiler, so i am so still learning.

Do i just add mor water throung the vent pipe at the top? 

Thanks for input, my installer dealer has some issues with even returning emails on simple questions. I actually had two more buyers sent to them , practically begging for a purchase.   Nada from them.   Got about twenty grand coming at you and don't return calls- great business model.
Husbands must learn to forget their mistakes. No reason two people should remember them forever.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 05:03:59 PM »

Yes you always want to shoot for 12 hour loading intervals. It will cut down a lot on your creosote issues as well as it should really cut bqck on your wood usage.

silver star

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 05:03:15 PM »

Yes you always want to shoot for 12 hour loading intervals. It will cut down a lot on your creosote issues as well as it should really cut bqck on your wood usage.

That was helpful, hondaracer.  I have found my consumption to be way down and performance hasn't diminished.  I am sure i have enough wood cut for this season and am mostly cutting now to keep the place cleaned up and have a head start next year.

This watm spell gave me a chance to shut it down and clean out the ashes. Will start anew next week sometime.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
    • View Profile
Re: Boiler overheated. advice on adding water later?
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 05:24:13 PM »

You can't leave the shim in  that's why you boiled over, it had no way to shut it self down !
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl