Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cadillac OWB?  (Read 14529 times)

NewToIt

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: XL (14,000 sq. ft.)
    • View Profile
Cadillac OWB?
« on: March 24, 2009, 08:06:03 AM »

Anyone know of the good, bad or ugly of the Cadillac line of OWBs?  They are made by Pro-Weld Fabricating under their Fuel Source Innovations division, so I read.

Still trying to decide on which brand to go with.... so many options!

Hope it's OK to post this link.... if not feel free to remove it!

http://www.proweldfabricating.com/index.htm

Thanks.
Not so "NewToIt" anymore..... up and running for 3 yrs. now!!

Jason

• View Profile
Re: Cadillac OWB?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 05:27:34 PM »

I say go with Hardy.  'Course, I always say go with Hardy.    :)
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 05:36:38 PM »

I have never seen one in person, looks like a decent unit, course I spent hours upon hours researching on the internet and ended up making (in hind sight) a poor choice I think :bash: so I think if I had to do it over again I would probably buy one of the big names like woodmaster or C.B. But don't listen to me :bash: :bash: :bash:
Northern MN

NewToIt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 07:08:46 AM »

Yoda,

Same here..... I've been looking (researching) for months and will finally buy in May/June.  Just trying to make an informed purchase.

'If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up with and why don't you like it?

Thanks.

yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 07:42:56 AM »

Yoda,

Same here..... I've been looking (researching) for months and will finally buy in May/June.  Just trying to make an informed purchase.

'If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up with and why don't you like it?

Thanks.
  I bought a Shaver 165. Main dislikes are #1 poorly insulated, #2 firebox is too small, in this weather I have to load it 3 times a day, below zero 4 times.
  I am planning on taking it apart this summer and insulating it better so hopefully that helps.
  After buying mine I looked at a woodmaster, the firebox on the woodmaster is huge in comparison, some of my problem may be my fault as I think I should have bought at least the next size bigger than what I bought, and they recommended
Northern MN

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 07:27:08 PM »

I have seen the cadillac owb at the home show.I have talked to the dealer close to me.They seem to be built really well.I liked some of the features they have.I am building my own boiler ,and plan to incorporate some of the features they have in thier design in my boiler.I would like to go to the dealer and see his in operation.He said he is heating 2 shops and his home with his.Told me to come anytime to see it.He said that if i was to buy one he would buy it back if i didn't like it.
I won't buy his ,but i would definatly like to check it out closer and get some good pictures of it.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

NewToIt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 08:10:27 AM »

Thanks jackel...

I think I will call the factory (nearest dealer appears to by 4-5 hours away).  Maybe they will give me some contacts of someone relatively close to me that has one.  Another company did this for me, and it was nice to see one in person.

With my luck.... even with all the time I've spent researching..... no matter which one I end up with..... something major will go wrong.  Seems as if every manufacturer puts out a lemon once in a while then, the customer has to battle for help from them.

What to do, what to do!!!

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 07:32:45 PM »

[quote author=NewToIt link=topic=235.msg1693#msg1693 date=1238076627

With my luck.... even with all the time I've spent researching..... no matter which one I end up with..... something major will go wrong.  Seems as if every manufacturer puts out a lemon once in a while then, the customer has to battle for help from them.

What to do, what to do!!!
[/quote]
Yeah i know the feeling of something going wrong with whatever you buy.Not just wood boilers either could be anything.Thats why I am goiung to build my own this summer.I am glad i have the tools and knowledge to fabricate my own. ;D
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

NewToIt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 08:13:43 AM »

Thought some may find this interesting....

I called the Pro-Weld factory twice to ask about their Cadillac line of OWB's and did not get through to anyone on the number from their website..... ?!?!?

Really like the looks and specs of the stove, so even though I don't have a dealer within 200 miles, thought I would call one and get their take on them (however bias it may be).  Called a guy in Indiana (about 4 hours away from my Michigan home) and he said that he only had one stove in stock because the factory had shut down till June-ish because of slow winter sales.  He then went on to say that he has 15 on order and they should be in by the end of July.  After a long discussion about how great the stoves are we parted ways.

Not feeling satisfied with his explanations of the company shutting down for a couple months, I called dealer in my home state of Michigan (about a 10 hour drive!).  He said he had several of the economy models (no electronics) left and some repo's, but that the company was OUT OF BUSINESS!!!!! He said he was only able to offer his own personal 1 year warranty to anyone who purchases a stove from him.

What gives???  I wonder if the first guy new this also, but didn't want to tell me in hopes he could unload his last stove on me!  Or maybe he didn't really know.

If they really don't make them anymore, too bad.  They looked like a good product and I was really interested (at least till I could see one in person).

Now what?  Back to the same old same old I guess.  Looks like I'll end up with a WoodMaster, CentralBoiler, WoodDoctor, FreeHeatMachine, Hawken, or the like.

NewToIt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 08:32:36 AM »

Jackel.....

Forgot to ask you in that last post about the dealer near you.  I don't know where you are located, but I would be interested to know what they have to say about the whole deal.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 03:09:32 PM »

1st...i know nothing of this stove or it's company
2nd..i know nothing of any of the most popular stove makers new "gasification" models

however if i was in the market for an OWB i would look closely at the new gasification models as i am almost sure that very soon this will be the only type of OWB allowed in most places

and it they save wood as they say they do then the trade off of more closely monitoring of the operation of the stove or the time it takes to load it properly and keep it at it's best performace level, in my opinion would be worth it

i dont think if i was buying a new OWB now that i would consider anything but a gasificatino model
now that said i also do not have a manufacturer or a dealer that i would recomend as i dont see my self in the future buying one so i don't investigate any of the makes or models

i also hear many advertisements of indoor wood furnaces that are much more efficient...i say...big deal, i like the fire, the ash, the smoke, the dust all outside

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

rross

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 11:28:33 AM »

I know one to stay away from.  Purchased a Woodmaster in 2001, leaked at 4-1/2 years and at 8 years.  Read the warranty, you pay 40% and 80% of repair bill.  Prorated warranty-Look for a long one!   Model 434 - Always used their chemicals.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 11:39:26 AM by rross »

leguftek

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Cadillac
  • OWF Model: 5600
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 10:09:36 AM »

Cadillac brand was manufactured by Northern Steel Manufacturing in upper Wisconsin.  They basically stopped making these units in the summer of 2011.  It appears the owner of the company died and a couple of employees have attempted to move forward with the company, but unsuccessful.  They made 3 sizes of units....a 3600, 4800, and 5600.  They are 5000sf, 7500sf, and 10000sf models.  Definitely the best build boilers on the market with super thick boiler plate steel and precision robotic welded seams.

I believe the only downside of the units is that if you loose water due to a leak......the whole unit can over heat and have a total meltdown.  If you are extremely confident in how the unit is sealed and filled, and your always home to detect a leak if it occurs.....then the Cadillac can't be beat.

UPDATE:  The overheating concern has been addressed by the factory...they have vents which close in the event of a total water loss which starves the oxygen supply to the fire and basically shuts the whole unit down before it over heats!  So there is no problem.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:52:18 PM by leguftek »
Cadillac 5600 OWB
Stihl saws
27 Ton splitter from Lowe's (Military Discount!)
Honda ATV
Quadra-Fire indoor fireplace insert
Oliver 550 Tractor
28 Acres, 4000 small squ bales yearly, 6 horses

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 11:09:50 AM »

Great update.  If the company gets moving again it sounds like a robust product for a potential buyer.

As far as a total meltdown goes - I only run into that problem with uranium fuel in my homemade reactor. Ooops the gieger counter is going off - gotta run.
Muskoka, Ont

jrider

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 07:05:25 AM »

Do yourself a favor and stay as far away from Wooddoctor as you can.  I ordered a unit in August and never got it.  After many calls to full voiceboxes I finally got a hold of the owner - Arthur Turple who seemed like a decent guy on the phone but turned out to be a total crook.  Thankfully, I purchased mine with my credit card and they went after him for their money.  I know of 2 people in my area who have hired lawyers to get their money back on units they purchased in the spring and still dont' have anything. 

I made the decision to go with Portage and Main - a gasification boiler and so far couldn't be happier.  I made payment on one Thursday and it was at my address the next Thursday.  Stove works great.  They are on the high end of OWB's but peace of mind knowing I have a good product is worth it.  Go ahead and do some research or more that is.  I couldn't find anything bad about this company anywhere.  Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
Pages: [1] 2