Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Losing water  (Read 4221 times)

twallin

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 546
    • View Profile
Losing water
« on: December 23, 2012, 08:04:44 AM »

I’ve had my Woodmaster for maybe 16 years now. Very minimal problems. Chimney rusted away last year and replaced it with new steel chimney. Fan kicks on about 150 degree’s. I have adequate heat going to my buildings. This year I have to add water to it every day. Have a 5” sight glass on it. And its drops about 3” a day. Checked all pumps and fittings and can’t find a leak.  I do have a lot of steam coming from the fill tube at times. Could the water be evaporating? I do not have any anti freeze in system.
Temps here in MN. Are getting down to about 0 this time of year.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Losing water
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 08:12:43 AM »

burn your fire down to nothing, clean the ashes out and look for damp ashes, look for wet spots around any seems. if you never lost water like this before then you likely have a problem and it is not evaporating.

perhaps when your fire is out and you have checked your stove (if you find no problems there) you might pressure test your underground lines also

when i had a leak in my stove it was losing about 1.5 gallons a day and i nver could see where it was coming from untill i pulled out the ashes and they were sopping wet. cleanedo ut the stove and then could see a wet spot in teh bottome of the fire box.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

twallin

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 546
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 05:00:52 PM »

Thank you much. I will try that. Maybe wait a few days till it warms up. I'll repost after I clean
It out. Appreciate your comment.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 10:01:55 PM »

It sounds like a leak up towards the top inside and it is boiling away.
Look around inside for a clean area. When the water boils and turns to steam it can clean the creosote off around it.

pintopaul

• OWF Brand: wood master
  • OWF Model: model 434
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 06:32:23 PM »

mine starting doing the same thing at the end of last years burn, changed water and added chemical but when i filled it i noticed before the water was running out of the top it starting pouring out from underneath. this week is going to be warm so im going to tear the roof off and see if my fill pipe has rotted out. ill keep everyone posted

pintopaul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 06:34:53 PM »

well took roof off its not the fill pipe its rotted near the chimney. i took pictures but dont remember how to post them. Now to figure out how to fix it cause weathers going to be warm for the next 2 days.

pintopaul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 06:40:46 PM »

welded 2 pieces of steel over the holes, been burning for 3 days and havent had to add a drop of water. I happy with results