Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: E1450 clogged heat exchanger tubes - creosote  (Read 950 times)

PapaTango

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E1450
    • View Profile
Re: E1450 clogged heat exchanger tubes - creosote
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 07:15:14 PM »

I have an e1450 and if I don't clean out the tubes once every two weeks they will get clogged up where the tool won't fit down the tubes. I use a small piece of wire like a coat hanger and run it up for the bottom and down from the top to break it up. I then pull the scraper tool with chains on both ends down through the tubes. One thing a learned is that if you remove the weak chain that came with it and put a heavier duty chain on the tool it will pull down easier.  Glad you were able to clean out the tubes and it's important to keep them clean. I use a shop vac during clean out to remove all ash and debris off the top of those tubes as well.

smithbr

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 05:57:58 AM »

Hey, PapaTango
Good to hear, but I suspect this is one of those issues that's very fuelwood and dryness-specific.  As for their tool, I gave up in disgust.  It jams randomly, and yeah, the chain is a piece of junk.  My new tool is far better for the job as far as I'm concerned.  I'll probably play with their tool later this spring, at the end-of-season cleanout, to make sure the paths are really clean.  On a weekly basis, it's easier to just use my "articulating poker".  Which I'll post a pic of if anyone's curious.  It's just a couple of pieces of the removable metal frame you find inside filing cabinets, the sort used to support "hangfiles".  The L-leg and one straight section, if reassembled with a bolt(or rivet) to make a really long L, is perfect for jamming up and down in the tubes.  The bottom leg of the L is just right for chipping away at creosote up the edges, and with a little practice you can really work away at it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 12:29:02 PM by smithbr »

bowood

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: E-1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 08:30:32 AM »

5 out of my 7 heat exchange ducts clogged.  I used a rod for a chimney brush to clear a path for the chain that came with the boiler.  Dropped the chain through and unplugged each easily.  I'm glad I read this post to realize that all 7 are supposed to be clear.  I thought at first they connected into a single duct on each side and so that it was normal to not be able to get the chain through all 7.

smithbr

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 08:22:30 AM »

Figured I'd post an update.  Finally got the chain tool through all 7 passages.  Didn't improve performance, but now I know they're clear.  Took a lot of chipping to get numbers 5 and 6 clear, and they seem to be clogging back up more quickly than the rest.  Day after I started up for the fall, I was standing near the furnace piling wood, and I heard a "Whumpfh" at the end of a 50 second boost.  Sure enough, the electrical cabinet has a new load of embers in it, so I applied another load of WD40 to the solenoids; pretty sure that's what's happening, one or both valves is hanging up and as a result we get an explosive gas mix in the stove, which relieves itself.  Hope it's not doing any other harm.

smithbr

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 02:28:31 PM »

Further update, two cleanouts since my post on the 7th, and each time, putting the chain tool through was a breeze except for the sixth tube, which clears quickly but not without some back-and-forth with the tool.  My complaint last year about the tool was unwarranted, it does a decent job as long as you don't forget it exists.

lasasj

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 10:48:13 AM »

I have an e1450 and the H-Tool that was provided with it does a great job.  A couple years ago the exchange became very clogged and I had to clean it out with a bent piece of 1/4" metal dowel and a bent piece of flatstock.  I ended up getting the H-Tool stuck and the lower wire ring broke when I tried to pull it down.  Fortunately I had the top chain in-tact to extract the tool.  I ultimately replaced the wire rings with heavy duty chain links.  I'd recommend other e1450 owners do the same. 

If the boiler is running efficiently, my exchange doesn't get much build-up (even when burning soft woods).  When the primary air intake gets some build-up and/or the air tubes, thicker emissions eventually accumulate everywhere.  Once its starts running inefficiently, the process compounds itself and everything becomes a pain to clean.  Key is to stay on top of the little things before they turn into bigger problems.

jreimer

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 01:03:00 PM »

I echo this for any gassers.  As long as intake and exhaust are clean and clear everything runs great.  Once buildup starts anywhere, things get bad in a hurry.  There is very little room for tolerance with sticky mechanisms or plugged airways.
Shindaiwa 488
GMC Duramax 2500HD
Homemade splitter
Portage and Main Optimizer 250
Kubota B7500 w/loader
An understanding wife
Pages: 1 [2]