Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Gonna fire her up  (Read 11258 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Gonna fire her up
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 10:56:03 PM »

Once they are actually hot and have the coal bed established they actually recover pretty quick depending on the load. Don’t forget as well the closer they get to 180 the less air the controller lets em have to make the burn as long as possible. Usually mine is around 52% on the damper before shutting off.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 04:26:26 AM »

When your starting from scratch in the gasser and don't have a coal bed to break down the wood to wood gas and then heat it up and light it off you aren't going to have those extreme temps yet coming out of the nozzle. If we had a reaction chamber thermo couple I could prove that theory. You can't tell though by watching the gasser flame that it's not gassing like it does on a good coal bed.

Pointblank

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 07:14:45 AM »

Ya, gasifiers can be a little slow to get going without a coal bed. This year i thought I'd try something to get the stove up and gasifying quickly.  Last spring, I saved the remaining charred logs and charcoal chunks from when the fire went out. Tossed them in the ash can and they kept dry over the summer. I used them as a coal bed "starter", and the stove was up and gassing in about 10 minutes.  Reaction chamber temps were still on the low side for 1\2 hour or so til the wood load got up and burning good. 200 gallons went from 50 to 185 in about 1 3\4 hours.

Still, it seems as though it just takes a couple days to get a good coal bed established. Started it up Thursday pm and temps are still climbing but becoming more consistent.  Now getting consistent reaction chamber temps over 1000.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 09:34:34 AM »

Makes sense, now I know! Gassers are still foreign technology to me

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 02:41:35 AM »

Yeah, that  coal bed makes all the difference. And some ash to insulate it.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

benp

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: Edge 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 12:49:30 PM »

Ya, gasifiers can be a little slow to get going without a coal bed. This year i thought I'd try something to get the stove up and gasifying quickly.  Last spring, I saved the remaining charred logs and charcoal chunks from when the fire went out. Tossed them in the ash can and they kept dry over the summer. I used them as a coal bed "starter", and the stove was up and gassing in about 10 minutes.  Reaction chamber temps were still on the low side for 1\2 hour or so til the wood load got up and burning good. 200 gallons went from 50 to 185 in about 1 3\4 hours.

Still, it seems as though it just takes a couple days to get a good coal bed established. Started it up Thursday pm and temps are still climbing but becoming more consistent.  Now getting consistent reaction chamber temps over 1000.

With the Edge 750 I leave the bypass open for a while when first firing up and on a totally fresh fill. This way the fire is burning up through the wood and gets burning well. When I shut the bypass handle down to now go through the reaction chamber, the fire is blazing.

The reaction chamber temps fly this way.

I feel Central did a real disservice to the smaller models by not having that addition.

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 01:05:35 PM »

benp - Where you located?  Is the Edge 750 the titanium unit they're selling?  How long have you had it and do you like it?  Sorry for the questions, I'm seriously thinking of changing to something like the Edge 750.  I have the E-Classic 1400.  It's a pretty good unit but a pain in the neck (and I mean that literally, I have degenerative disk disease) to keep the air channel open, they'e non-removable.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

benp

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 02:00:22 PM »

benp - Where you located?  Is the Edge 750 the titanium unit they're selling?  How long have you had it and do you like it?  Sorry for the questions, I'm seriously thinking of changing to something like the Edge 750.  I have the E-Classic 1400.  It's a pretty good unit but a pain in the neck (and I mean that literally, I have degenerative disk disease) to keep the air channel open, they'e non-removable.  Roger

Hi Roger,

Northern Minnesota.

This is the model. Click on the 750.

https://centralboiler.com/products/classic-edge/

Going on it's first year of service. I like it a lot. We are heating 10000 sq feet with a high, very high, and extremely high heat load, which i feel is bouncing off the upper capabilities of the stove. Heat load is determined what frozen, snow covered piece of equipment is brought into the shop.

Extremely high heat load is when we pull in a frozen dump truck with trac hoe and trailer that all have a foot of snow on them.....when it's -15 out. I watched the shop temp dump 15 degrees in 20 minutes because of that.

That being said, I can get a full 8-10 hrs out of a fill at heavy sub zero temps. Normally it's 12 hours from zero on up.

Weekly cleaning of the reaction chamber and heat exchangers takes under 10 minutes even in sub zero. Every 2 weeks I include popping off the back chimney cap, cleaning that and running the chains on the heat exchangers.

I pull 3-4 gallons of ash at the 2 week cleaning and 2.5 at just reaction chamber cleaning.

I guess I am not familiar with what you mean by the air channel on the E classic.

Everything on the Edge is accessible from the front of the stove. Firebox, air intake and reaction chamber.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 03:26:04 PM by benp »

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 05:04:57 AM »

Have you had any problems with the solenoids prematurely dying?  I visit another site where someone purchased one of the Edge 750's and he was going through them left and right until he found the problem.  There's a plate which sits on a elbow.  When the OWB calls for air, the plate is lifted from the elbow opening via the solenoid allowing air to enter into the firebox.  The problem was a film of creosote was collecting on the ridge of the elbow opening so that when it cooled, it hold the plate down, not allowing it to open, this causing them to burn out.  I believe his solution to the problem was to affix a film of high temperature grease to the ridge and I believe he no longer has the problem.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

benp

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 08:43:34 AM »

Have you had any problems with the solenoids prematurely dying?  I visit another site where someone purchased one of the Edge 750's and he was going through them left and right until he found the problem.  There's a plate which sits on a elbow.  When the OWB calls for air, the plate is lifted from the elbow opening via the solenoid allowing air to enter into the firebox.  The problem was a film of creosote was collecting on the ridge of the elbow opening so that when it cooled, it hold the plate down, not allowing it to open, this causing them to burn out.  I believe his solution to the problem was to affix a film of high temperature grease to the ridge and I believe he no longer has the problem.  Roger

I've had no issues with that.

That being said I do take the main intake elbow off once a month and clean it out.

I can see how that would be an issue because that elbow does get some build up in it.

Next time I have it out I will do the grease trick. Sounds like good insurance.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 10:46:13 AM »

The air channel is a series of holes along both sides and back of the firebox where the air enters the firebox to get the fire going again after idle.  The air channels in the E-Classic 1400 are welded in place, not removable like those in the Edge line.  It takes some patience and about 15 minutes once every 2 or 3 weeks to make sure they remain open.  Like you, once a month I remove the elbow to clear any creosote build up.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 05:22:57 PM »

I've had no issues with that.

That being said I do take the main intake elbow off once a month and clean it out.

I can see how that would be an issue because that elbow does get some build up in it.

Next time I have it out I will do the grease trick. Sounds like good insurance.

Sounds like your running it hard enough it doesn’t see  a lot of idle time, that helps a lot to keep any boiler clean.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 05:45:44 PM »

I saw that one. Wonder if how he's loading it. Sounds like an idling/moisture issue. It's a good sized unit.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 04:23:13 AM »

One of the things I saw on 750, there's a spring where one end connects to one edge of the plate, wraps under the elbow and then connects to the other edge of the plate (I'm referencing the primary elbow and plate that goes over the opening).  I wonder, what's the purpose of this spring (my guess is it holds the plate down) and what would happen if the spring was to be removed, would it be detrimental to the operation?  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

benp

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 05:53:16 AM »

One of the things I saw on 750, there's a spring where one end connects to one edge of the plate, wraps under the elbow and then connects to the other edge of the plate (I'm referencing the primary elbow and plate that goes over the opening).  I wonder, what's the purpose of this spring (my guess is it holds the plate down) and what would happen if the spring was to be removed, would it be detrimental to the operation?  Roger

My guess is to hold the plate down tight to eliminate risk of an air leak. I want that sucker locked down tight when it's off so personally, I would not remove it.

Also on our stove I have the air pulse set down to every 15 minutes for 50 seconds.

In my head I head have 2 reasons for this.

1. It really doesn't give the stove a chance to sit and fester. There is always something going on. Especially during warmer times.

2. It kind of keeps a little life in the coals.

I also dropped the water temp differential to 7 degrees. That has made a huge difference. When the stove was kicking on at 175 the water temp was getting crushed due to the heat load being greater than the stove's heat output at the time.

I would see maybe low 160's before it would start to recover. Coming on at 178 I may see high 160's before it starts climbing.

If I am home during the day I'll go out and just poke the stove at 180-181 to get the process going.
Pages: 1 [2] 3