Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Programable Thermostats  (Read 9655 times)

Bluegrass Wood Burner

• OWF Brand: Ozzark Biomass
  • OWF Model: Gasconade 500 gallon
    • View Profile
Programable Thermostats
« on: November 19, 2017, 08:03:28 AM »

I'm thinking of purchasing programable thermostats for my boiler heat. How do you guys have yours set? For example what time do you have it raise or drop and how does it affect your wood consumption. Before I buy the two Thermostats I want to make sure it's worth the money time and trouble. I have two units so I would need 2 Thermostats. And also I now have separate thermostats for heat pump and boiler so in reality now I have 4 thermostats. Thinking of installing a thermostat that will control ac, heat pump, and boiler all from one thermostat. Any suggestion on a particular brand or model that works best for all this I've thrown at you is appreciated.
South central Kentucky
Ford F-150
16 ft tandem trailer
3000# winch
Husqvarna 142
Husqvarna 460 rancher
6ft spud bar
Poulan 3314
22 ton lowes splitter
Timberline sharpener
"Worn out body"

NaturallyAspirated

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: M250
  • Golfing, snowmobiling fool!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nealmastel.com
Re: Programable Thermostats
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 05:34:54 AM »

I have a Nest gen 3.  It's very nice and has many nice smart features.  I have it wired up so that my OWB is H1, H2 is dummy wired to nothing (just a short bit of wire into the terminal, and H3 (* connection on the Nest) is my second/backup heat source, which is electric strips in the air handler).  This allows me to set the eco/away mode down to 65 when the wife and I leave the house, and the thermostat will only kick on two levels of heat when we are sensed as home.  The Nest has a 7* spread between H1 and H3.  I also have the Nest tied into my IFTTT account so I get a text message if the house gets to 64 degrees for a low warning and 74 degrees for a high warning.  I also use Nest manager from gethub to tie it into my Samsung Smatthings home automation.  This allows routines to be run, turn on/off lights with house temperature reaches certain point, ect.
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential
Send me your bitcoins!  1GEsGKzP5xK9e45YDjmRzGYpnhwT3oNbvj

Bluegrass Wood Burner

• OWF Brand: Ozzark Biomass
  • OWF Model: Gasconade 500 gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 05:55:02 AM »

Now that's pretty interesting.
South central Kentucky
Ford F-150
16 ft tandem trailer
3000# winch
Husqvarna 142
Husqvarna 460 rancher
6ft spud bar
Poulan 3314
22 ton lowes splitter
Timberline sharpener
"Worn out body"

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 05:58:59 AM »

Don’t recall the Nest having a H3, or was that the connection that was a user defined? I think I’m using that one to control my whole house humidifier.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

NaturallyAspirated

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 06:06:41 AM »

Don’t recall the Nest having a H3, or was that the connection that was a user defined? I think I’m using that one to control my whole house humidifier.
Yes * is user defined.  I did have my humidifier wired to * for a while but then I just ran it directly to fan control relay in the air handler.  I had to split H1 and H3 because I have the schedule set to 67 night setback and 72 morning setpoint.  This often kicks on H1 and H2.  I didn't want the electric kicking on every morning during the ramp up.
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential

braveblaster

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 06:11:15 PM »

:post: :post:
I have a Nest gen 3.  It's very nice and has many nice smart features.  I have it wired up so that my OWB is H1, H2 is dummy wired to nothing (just a short bit of wire into the terminal, and H3 (* connection on the Nest) is my second/backup heat source, which is electric strips in the air handler).  This allows me to set the eco/away mode down to 65 when the wife and I leave the house, and the thermostat will only kick on two levels of heat when we are sensed as home.  The Nest has a 7* spread between H1 and H3.  I also have the Nest tied into my IFTTT account so I get a text message if the house gets to 64 degrees for a low warning and 74 degrees for a high warning.  I also use Nest manager from gethub to tie it into my Samsung Smatthings home automation.  This allows routines to be run, turn on/off lights with house temperature reaches certain point, ect.

:post: :post:

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 08:21:05 PM »

I'm thinking of purchasing programable thermostats for my boiler heat. How do you guys have yours set? For example what time do you have it raise or drop and how does it affect your wood consumption. Before I buy the two Thermostats I want to make sure it's worth the money time and trouble. I have two units so I would need 2 Thermostats. And also I now have separate thermostats for heat pump and boiler so in reality now I have 4 thermostats. Thinking of installing a thermostat that will control ac, heat pump, and boiler all from one thermostat. Any suggestion on a particular brand or model that works best for all this I've thrown at you is appreciated.

To be perfectly honest I don’t have it to save wood, not sure it would anyways, if you let the temp drop at night you save some wood, but then you burn more in the morning.

9pm ours is set to drop to 67, at around 6am its set to bring the house back up to 73.

It’s mainly nice for the wifi feature, if we are going to be gone longer than we thought or decide to stay over nite for example I can drop the temp of the house from my smartphone, conversely if we are coming home earlier than planned I can have the house warm when we get home.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

NaturallyAspirated

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 07:06:40 AM »

To be perfectly honest I don’t have it to save wood, not sure it would anyways, if you let the temp drop at night you save some wood, but then you burn more in the morning.

9pm ours is set to drop to 67, at around 6am its set to bring the house back up to 73.

It’s mainly nice for the wifi feature, if we are going to be gone longer than we thought or decide to stay over nite for example I can drop the temp of the house from my smartphone, conversely if we are coming home earlier than planned I can have the house warm when we get home.
Ya I suppose I am a little more spoiled than folks that have to load up the fire box in the morning to make sure they catch the ramp up.  I have the thermostat set to ramp up about an hour before we normally wake up.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 11:38:18 AM »

Ya I suppose I am a little more spoiled than folks that have to load up the fire box in the morning to make sure they catch the ramp up.  I have the thermostat set to ramp up about an hour before we normally wake up.

Oh I don’t, I load the night before accordingly. I ain’t getting up at 5:30 just to put wood in, harvest is done so no need to be up at the *ss crack of dawn.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

braveblaster

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 05:15:57 PM »

Not a chance, my last load in the evening is done NLT 9:00 PM -- that load of wood would take me through the next day and for at least 14 hours until wood is needed again. My butt is very warm until then.....