Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Dumb question about cleaning  (Read 1736 times)

Jon_E

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G200 Gasifier
    • View Profile
Dumb question about cleaning
« on: December 07, 2017, 08:51:01 AM »

This may be a dumb question but I want to hear from you guys with G-series boilers.  I have cleaned the ash out of the firebox of my G200 simply by raking the stuff through the slot in the bottom of the firebox and dragging it out through the door on the secondary burn chamber.  I use the little half-moon shaped tool/rake that they give you.  What I have not figured out, though, is how to clean, or even see, the section of firebox that is right inside the firebox door.  In other words the front wall and the front 4-6" of the firebox.  I can't really get in there to see if there's a lot of creosote or ash built up just inside the door. 

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to view this area and clean it out? 
Firewood collector and hot water enthusiast.

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: Dumb question about cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 09:53:06 AM »

Yes, it's kinda hard to see. I usually let the fire burn down once a month or so and check those kind of places out. In the spring I do a more thorough cleaning.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:59:52 AM »

Yep, I have a old poker that was used wit the original coal furnace in the house, has just the right curve I can run it across the front of the stove as well to make sure the ash is loose. To clean that part I use a small camp shovel, maybe 18” long total?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Smokeless

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster ss.
  • OWF Model: G-100, 200,400
    • View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 05:36:16 PM »

Jon e.
    I use a piece of 1/2” solid stock.  Make a L. 4”  80degree  bend in the hot end. From there come up 15” make a 8-10deg bend in same direction as end. Handle end I bent a big oval enough to get a glove into and welded the joint. Length when done is about 45”. This works very well to get the ash away from the corners and out from underneath the heat curtains.
Remember to keep the heat curtains cleared on the bottoms.
Also works very well to move hot chunks of wood and coals around when you get a bridge. You can slide it right between the chunks of wood and flip them around.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:16:07 PM by Smokeless »
Signature:
JD 401-c /Honda300atv/CAT 922-B/twofarmallCubs/2135 diesel Massey/8 chain saws/JMSloader/ 2017 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD
HeatMaster/Logstor  dealer for North east area NY VT NH MASS. Sales, installations, troubleshooting of hydronic systems and gasification issues.  Saratoga co, NY