Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Extended Burn Times With Super Dry Wood  (Read 6683 times)

Mr. Maple

• OWF Brand: Empyre 450-sold,P&M BL 4044- sold,now Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 20000e
    • View Profile
Extended Burn Times With Super Dry Wood
« on: January 30, 2018, 02:05:17 PM »

Okay,so now this furnace is really impressing me,we are into wood that's been under cover in the shed now for  about 4 years,figured we should use it before it got too dry? Anyway,as stated before,first furnace would do an 8 hour burn on two wheelbarrow loads of wood,second furnace 6-7 hours on three wheelbarrow loads of wood,present furnace 12-14 hours on two wheelbarrow loads of wood,but now with the really dry stuff - ONE wheelbarrow load of wood for a 12-14 hour burn,sometimes even 15 hours!!!!

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: Extended Burn Times With Super Dry Wood
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 02:37:28 PM »

Got anything to do with outside temp, heating system changes, thermostat settings, different species of wood, etc do ya figure? Maybe your other wood pile was wet? I have a similar stove to yours on a smaller scale, and it makes almost no difference in mine when all other aspects are the same. 1 year old red oak at 25-28% MC lasts actually a bit longer than the trailer load of 5-10 year old red oak at 12-16% MC I brought home. Was stacked inside a hayshed for years until I grabbed it so it was super dry. Actually hated it

Range91

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ultimizer 34-44 shaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:47:07 PM »

I have noticed with my p&m that if my wood is real dry like standing dead burn times go down the drain. If I throw in some dry with some wet or burn just spring cut wood burn times go up and can see my stove gassing into upper heat exchanger. I am not a scientist or good at science but I believe there needs to be a certain amount of moisture in the wood to support the burning of syn gasses. Great to hear your having success with the dry wood be interested to know mc %
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:07:35 PM by Range91 »

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:19:57 PM »

If I remember correctly, Slim used to say he liked his wood closer to 30% then 20%.

I have found my burn times are longer if the moisture content is upper 20's to 30 percent or so rather than the wood that was less than 20 percent when I burnt it. 
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 10:34:46 PM »

Dam wind and stuff ...messes wit me. I got every thing covered so u can't complain.. It was a bit better at my last place with out the trees...but I will suffer forth my  view out my living room...

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 12:36:55 PM »

If I remember correctly, Slim used to say he liked his wood closer to 30% then 20%.

I have found my burn times are longer if the moisture content is upper 20's to 30 percent or so rather than the wood that was less than 20 percent when I burnt it.

Depends on the size as well, My wife fills the tote cages, if its the last one for the day and she’s getting tired the top half of the tote will be all smaller pieces. Give getting a thermocouple in the stack I notice a lot that small pieces lead to higher stack temps, my theory is they gas off faster and are drier being smaller which leads to higher stack temps.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 04:18:30 AM »

You know If you burn dryer wood you need to slow down your draft like big time to get longer burns .
Im burning slabs that are 15-25 % I have the rain cap on and front fan intake 1/2 closed off and Im thinking closeing 1/2
of the back fan off .. if you don't all heats going out the chimney . stack temp monitoring is a big deal .

heat550

cherry red rain caps happen pretty easy . Mine has a nice blue color now.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:52:12 PM by heat550 »

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 04:12:41 AM »

Here like this.

Heat550

greasemonkoid

• OWF Model: NCB175
  • wnc mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 12:48:36 PM »

Not sure if I'm on the same page, but are "dry" wood burning woes solely attributed to excessive combustion heat going up the stack or poor combustion from chemistry? If the former, seems like a temperature controller and thermocouple in the stack would be a solution, then use a two speed blower or auxillary damper controlled via magnetic solenoid, or if you like to tinker use a 3 phase motor and motor drive with a PID controller for automated variable fan speed.

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 12:54:44 PM »

Your slowing down stack temp so heat goes in water instead of up chimney. Paint can lid cost .. .Free. more Electronics more problems.
 :thumbup:

Name of the paint can lid.. combustion flow converter.  :thumbup:
I could sell them on eBay and make millions.

Heat550
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:01:27 PM by heat550 »

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 02:56:42 PM »

Cutting back the air only can help so much. At some point it will just be smoldering and blowing more smoke.
If the wood is super dry or you have a huge amount of surface area like with slabs, you want to limit the air coming up from under the coal bed and supply more air over the fire.
If the stove doesn't have any air in the top, you can just keep part of the grate completely uncovered so air can get to the top. Maybe even try to put wide flat slabs in first to block off more air from coming up from the bottom.

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »

Cutting back the air only can help so much. At some point it will just be smoldering and blowing more smoke.
If the wood is super dry or you have a huge amount of surface area like with slabs, you want to limit the air coming up from under the coal bed and supply more air over the fire.
If the stove doesn't have any air in the top, you can just keep part of the grate completely uncovered so air can get to the top. Maybe even try to put wide flat slabs in first to block off more air from coming up from the bottom.
:post:
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 08:44:55 PM »

Thanks for info . My back fan is blowing down from the top. It's full open 150cfm fan under grate is 2/3 closed 50cfm it gets water dam hot fast.. with way lower stack temp.. I could tinker with it more.
Now that I know this.

Heat550

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 02:37:20 AM »

Here's what I'm doing to burn slabs I'm closing fan port about 2/3 of the way . Picture is Extreme setting to show how far flipper opens.

Heat550
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:40:05 AM by heat550 »

dutch

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: portage & main
  • OWF Model: bl-28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 06:57:34 AM »

I hear a lot about stack temps , how do you monitor that , I have a bl28-40 with 3 sections of insulated pipe,
Pages: [1] 2