Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Thru the roof stove pipe  (Read 2338 times)

slimchance

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H2
    • View Profile
Thru the roof stove pipe
« on: August 28, 2018, 02:46:36 PM »

I have a Hardy H2, this summer I have installed a metal carport over the top of the stove to keep me and the wood out of the weather.  I am looking for ideas / suggestions on materials I should use to get my stove pipe through the roof.  Metal roof only, no wood anywhere.  One worry is how stinking hot that pipe can get sometimes (when really cooking, the stainless stock pipe is glowing red).  This makes we wonder and worry about rubber-type boots and such.  From the stove to the roof-line will be approx 2-3 feet.  Let the suggestions fly.  I am no professional, but I'm not afraid to try!

greasemonkoid

• OWF Model: NCB175
  • wnc mountains
    • View Profile
Re: Thru the roof stove pipe
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 04:47:31 PM »

No double walled pipe? Insulated doublewall would be my course of action, then a storm collar. I even put spray foam all around mine to seal the bugs out of it, haven't seen it hot enough to boil the water on my finger yet and I checked that right after a 1000+ degree flue temp spike.

If you're set on using what you have just cut a precision hole and put a large storm collar on the stack and call it a day.

BUT, let me guess, your stack is not in the crest of the roof, is it?

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 05:56:32 PM »

I run a double wall 6" through my steel roof with the rubber boot on top. With 7-800 degree stack temps from my old stove it was hardly hot to the touch, with my current stove it seldom exceeds 425 and it's barely warm at the breach.

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 07:30:43 PM »

Why not just leave a 1-2" gap around the pipe?  The boiler was meant to get wet, so water coming between the car port and the pipe isn't a concern. 

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 05:19:16 AM »

Why not just leave a 1-2" gap around the pipe?  The boiler was meant to get wet, so water coming between the car port and the pipe isn't a concern.

I have plans of putting a car port over my stove next year.  That was my plan.  Cut a hole just slightly bigger than the chimney.  I had no intentions of putting any boots around it or anything like that. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 05:24:33 AM »

That was my thought too, just leave a gap.
 Personally tho, I'd put the shed beside the OWB to reduce the chance of a spark igniting dry sawdust or bark. I think I saw the results of two woodshed fires last year. I understand it can be done safely, just be careful guys.  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 05:40:14 AM by E Yoder »
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

slimchance

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 07:19:03 AM »

All great ideas!  I am totally on board with the hole in the roof being slightly larger than the pipe and just going with that.  I think that will be great.  This is proof that I am really good at over-thinking things!