Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Stainless Steel Vs Copper Crimp Rings  (Read 2020 times)

Radio Tech1964

• OWF Brand: Hawken Energy
  • OWF Model: HE-1100
  • Stihl MS 250 John Deere CS 36 2013
    • View Profile
    • Weather Info
Stainless Steel Vs Copper Crimp Rings
« on: November 03, 2018, 01:05:32 AM »

What is everyone's choice on PEX crimp rings Stainless Steel or copper?  I have the tooling for the stainless rings but I haven't seen those used  hardly any on Pex Pipe. I will need to obtain the 1" crimp tool for the copper rings so I thought I would see how the consensus feels as to the better product.

Wt

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: Stainless Steel Vs Copper Crimp Rings
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 03:43:06 PM »

Like the Viega SS crimp collars? I've used them both and the SS collars are definitely easier to install, I think they have a little better holding power personally, but they're near impossible to remove without wrecking the pipe and/or fitting. And they're more expensive. The same tool will usually do them both though, with calibration

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 01:32:35 AM »

I've used both SS cinch rings (oetiker is one brand) and copper rings. Both work fine, copper is cheaper and (I think) looks cleaner so I use them mostly. But really they both work great. I know one young guy who loves the SS rings and ribs me about the old copper rings I use. It's what you get used to.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:12:14 AM by E Yoder »
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

Radio Tech1964

• OWF Brand: Hawken Energy
  • OWF Model: HE-1100
  • Stihl MS 250 John Deere CS 36 2013
    • View Profile
    • Weather Info
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 07:39:22 PM »

It's good to know there are no real serious drawbacks. I ended up with a pack of them by mistake and used a few already.
The copper rings do seem to make a cleaner job. I have used a bunch of em so far on my install here. The location of the furnace and location of the master bath make a single wall punch impossible and going through the floor the same way due to the duct work. Looks like we're gonna come out high into the utility room and through beside the garden tub then to the stove. I don't really want to use so many elbows but this homes build makes for a bunch of obstacles.