Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Smoke stack extension  (Read 9092 times)

abarton

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: taylor
  • OWF Model: 450
    • View Profile
Smoke stack extension
« on: January 11, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »

I thought about extending the smoke stack on my Taylor to 20 feet or so just to get the smoke higher off the ground.  Anybody tried this and did you have any problems?
"I could have saved a fortune when I built my house if only I had not installed any light switches but instead straight wired all the lights. I'm the only one that realizes they also turn off"

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke stack extension
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 05:51:04 PM »

many have added stack to their stoves. personally i see no harm in it..some say you can increase the draft with a long stack and that does make sense. if you think you have too much draft and are having boile over issues or you think your wood consumption is going up i can't see why you cant add a barometric "flapper" control that will allow you to set the draft to your liking.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

abarton

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 06:09:50 PM »

Was just more interested in getting that smoke higher off the ground like a convential chimney.  My Taylor has forced draft so that is really not a problem. 
"I could have saved a fortune when I built my house if only I had not installed any light switches but instead straight wired all the lights. I'm the only one that realizes they also turn off"

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 06:14:46 PM »

what i was referring too is that some folks claim with a longer chimney they get more draft. when your stoves blower is not in operation (when your stove is at idle) the extra draft may pull air in around a door or through yoru blower when it normally wouldn't with a short chimney. if this were to happen you could get boileover. if you were to add the barometric flapper, that would control your draft. this draft control could keep your actual draft on the stove the same (or very close too) as it was when your chimney was shorter
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 07:42:49 PM »

Forced draft wood boiler owner here. Extended tall stack as well...Its like night and day compared to the factory stack (smoke wise)...No problems at all..Just run a hot fire here and there to keep your stack clean..Also spend the money and buy the good pipe.. If money is tight...Wood stove pipe works..But you'll be buying it every yr cause it rots.. Plus it plugs up since its not insulated..Been there done that lol.. How high you plan on going?
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »

Forced draft wood boiler owner here. Extended tall stack as well...Its like night and day compared to the factory stack (smoke wise)...No problems at all..Just run a hot fire here and there to keep your stack clean..Also spend the money and buy the good pipe.. If money is tight...Wood stove pipe works..But you'll be buying it every yr cause it rots.. Plus it plugs up since its not insulated..Been there done that lol.. How high you plan on going?
It helps to put a larger pipe to put around it. Round duct would probably even work for the outside pipe and it pretty cheap. Cap the ends so there is trapped air between the pipes or use some type high temperature insulation between them.

Crossfire800

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Natures comfort
  • OWF Model: ncb 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 04:31:23 AM »

I have 14' of metalbestos on mine and its force draft as well. This I my first year running it so I dont have anything to compare it to as far as running it with no chimney. I just throw in a pile of card board every once and a while to give it a cleaning its been running since the begining of oct no boilovers and we had some warm days during that span.
Pro 10-10
Husq 385xp
Crossfire 800 sp
Ford 1720

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 05:12:06 AM »

Some discussion about this issue in this post

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?topic=1228.0
Muskoka, Ont

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 03:04:03 PM »

Mine has fan, I added 12ft to mine and have not had any problems. Used insulated kind tried stove pipe one year and thats all it lasted. I needed to get smoke up higher to. It does increase draft on stove or it did mine but has not been a problem.

abarton

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 04:29:29 PM »

Good input.  Just what I was looking for.  And thanks WillieG.  I think I will measure the draft at an idle with a manometer and install a barometric damper so I can match the draft no matter the height.  I was thinking about using a piece of 8 inch galvanized well casing about 15 feet tall or so.  I could weld a base to it to bolt it to a concrete pad off to the side of the boiler and run some stainless duct to that.  That will give me a place to put the barometric damper.  Put a clean out at the bottom for a brush and I think I'll be ready to go.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »

i used a pieceof 8 inch schedule 40 black pipe for my chimney but i work in the chemical plansts and was able to get 1200 degree insulation and the aluminum wrap they put over that  you may not need the barometric  flapper as it sounds like most guys doent need it, i only suggested it in case  the extra chimney causes a draft through a door gasket or something that normall would not show up with the short stack
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

abarton

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 08:39:27 PM »

How did you mount your smoke stack willie. 

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 08:47:27 PM »

my chimney is welded right to my stove...my stove is schedule 80 pipe so it supports it. as well the box taht the chimney goes through on top of my building is made from 3/16 steel and it is bolted to 2 trusses, so it supports against any side ways motion
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

abarton

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 10:20:07 PM »

Oh yeah, I guess if I had looked at your picture I would'nt have had to ask.   lol