Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hands free log splitter  (Read 11126 times)

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
Hands free log splitter
« on: February 03, 2009, 08:30:25 PM »

Also thinking about this splitter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjnN__87vVE
They happen to be about a 15 minute drive from my house too!
Hudson, WI

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Hands free log splitter
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 07:50:08 AM »

uhhhh........  i think i'd just rather split it with a regular splitter........ 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:44:02 PM »

The problem I have is some of my rounds are 4' in diameter.  Went to look at the hands free splitter today.  Very impressive in person.  Splits incredibly well.  It was funny having the dealer explain about splitting big wood, he said "you have to attack the crotch first" with a totally straight face.  I don't think he ever got why I couldn't hold back my smirk...

It's on my wish list...
...of course at $3700.00,  it's right up there with private helicopter and 24 hour swimsuit model chef.
Hudson, WI

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 07:56:31 PM »

Rented one of these this weekend... details tomorrow... O0
Hudson, WI

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 07:07:26 PM »

Oops... forgot to post details of this splitter. 
I rented this thing on a Saturday morning and used it all day and into the night.  I went through almost a full 10 gallons of diesel on the skid loader.  It's a JD 240.  That's a fairly decent sized machine, not the biggest, but near the upper end of their line.  After the first 2 or three logs, I ended up trying to split in a spot that wasn't recommended, but I thought I'd give it a try.  I broke a bolt that holds the hardened tip onto the non hardened cast cone.  It was just a 5/16" grade 8 bolt, 4" long.  It was kinda my fault because I knew I shouldn't split it that way but thought I'd give it a shot.   We actually didn't get really started till about 11 :30 am since we had to run and find more bolts in town.  I did end up breaking one more bolt near the end of the night, not sure why because it was during a very easy split but oh well.  I like the design of it and I could change it out in under a minute so no problem.

I really liked this splitter.  I've used regular splitters before and one of the skid loader mounted ram style splitters and still liked this better.  Mainly because there's no lining up on the log so it's faster.  You just tip it on its edge, and start screwing it in.   Of course if you have smaller logs, there's no need for something like this as you can load a regular splitter by hand.  This one was great for the big stuff.  I don't have many pics because I didn't get out the machine that much!  I was by myself the entire day.  This is definitely a one man job which I liked very much.  The only time I got out was to change those 2 bolts, pee once, and eat once.  My brother came over around lunchtime and asked if he could try it, I took that as a chance to eat something and let him play.  Here's a shot of him at the controls:

It does take a little time to get used to.  It seemed like for the first hour or two I was feeling like an idiot and it was a little slow, but then I got into a groove and it was splitting those big logs like walnuts.   We both agreed that we liked this style better than the ram style and will probably attempt to build one ourselves.  We took lots of measurements and notes on it.  Not in a huge hurry because We split enough for a while.

Here's a shot again of what we started with:

Here's what I ended up with, this pile is about 5-6 feet high, and about 25 feet across:

Here's what my brother ended up with, we just split the split wood since the wood was actually his in the first place:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:15:39 PM by Scratch »
Hudson, WI

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »

As you can clearly see... It's hard to tell the difference between my setup and some others...

Just for clarification... this is my setup...

and this is R W Ohio's setup...

I know, I know... the pictures are almost exact....
Hudson, WI

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 06:13:21 AM »

Don't have a JD240 so we had to stack by hand.Maybe for next year though.

RW
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 10:55:19 AM »

scratch, i know what you mean about the cost, out of my reach if i want to stay married,  i did see a few that hook up to the auger for the back of a tractor, on for the back wheel of a car, called them both and they said they will adapt and they have people using them on bobcats,  what do you think?
Newrichmond, Ohio

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 06:30:29 PM »

Yeah I saw those ones that hook to a wheel... they look awful scary to me.  One slip and it could suck you right in.
Plus I was interested in something that will handle large wood that's hard to move around by hand. 
Hudson, WI

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 11:10:59 AM »

scratch, your like my wife, answer the question,  you can use the squealer on a bobcat auger, do you think its to small to pickup and move a log and to split them?
Newrichmond, Ohio

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 12:11:41 PM »

I don't think it's too small to pick em up and move them, I know that I did stop the hyd. motor on the one I rented a couple times though.  I've been told it's a stronger version than the auger motor, although I'm not sure if that's true or not.
Hudson, WI

maine owb

• ASPEN 175 in Full Operation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 07:11:13 PM »

now you can spend all weekend repairing all the grass the skid steer dug up.

charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 06:18:47 PM »

Wow, that's alot of wear and tear on that skid steer,  just to split wood. Even each piece of wood looks like alot of movement of the skid steer. Looks to me you'd run thru 5 gallons of diesel just to get one cord split, so you can sit in the seat? I'd rather get the exercise and stand up,LOL. And like already posted, how about the holes in the ground. That seems like a very slow, expensive way to split wood. I'd like to know how many cords an hour are split. Seems like your moving around constantly. That's got to make a mess of the ground.
woodmaster 434 since 2002, 612 gal. storage stss; super splitt;stihl ms360.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 09:09:24 PM »

I agree.  I wouldn't abuse my property like that to split the wood, and it really doesn't look all that fast.  I'd just assume bring a buddy over and get a cooler of cold drinks and use a conventional hydraulic style splitter.  Much easier and wayyyy less mess
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 08:15:30 PM »

no way, i split almost all my wood where i cut it and that is in my woods, if i could sit in my bobcat and split i could care less about the dirt under my tracks, would just have to back drag it when i was done.  might be hard to have a beer while splitting. will have to think about that
Newrichmond, Ohio
Pages: [1] 2