Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Echo and stihl saw opinions needed  (Read 6297 times)

jackel440

• View Profile
Echo and stihl saw opinions needed
« on: October 25, 2010, 06:56:37 PM »

Ok I actually saw an Echo dealer and stopped in to check em out.They had a CS-6700  on the shelf for $515.00   There was a 24" bar installed on it and looked like a nice saw.67cc motor in it.
I don't know anyone running any Echos so looking for opinions on them.
Then I stopped at the J.D. dealer to check out thier line of Stihl saws.(I usually avoid that place as I can't ever afford them)Anyways they have a MS391 with a 24" bar on it for $549.00.
Not a proffesional grade saw,but it is thier mid range model.I really liked it,but wonderd if anyone had an opinion on this model?
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Echo and stihl saw opinions needed
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 07:04:52 PM »

Check out a MS362.  Not sure what they are running now.

I have an echo weedeater, never ran there saws.  Never cared for the look really.

I'll be honest with ya, if I were going to buy a new saw right now it would probably be a Sachs Dolmar, it is by far the best for your money.  German made too.  For comparison, a stihl 460 is roughly 950 now, a Sachs Dolmar 7900 which is a beast is around 750. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:00:37 PM »

Well we just got a Dolmar dealer here but they don't have any big cc saws.Plus they are a used car dealer and don't have any parts in stock.SO I am passing on the Dolmar line.Just no support around here.
I currently have 025 Stihl with an 18" bar on it.I use it for everything.But my problem is I am in need of a bigger saw that will pull a  24" bar for cuttin stumps loose and bucking up the logs I have been hauling home.
I have my price limit set at $500 right now,and I have to stick to that.The MS 362was $658.00 and that is alot more than I will have to spend .
I would like to stick with the Stihl brand,But the Echo was a nice looking saw and was a little cheaper.
I would love to buy a more "pro" saw,but I think the 391 would take care of me.
I know it is a new model saw ,and wish I knew more about it.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 04:34:30 PM »

We run and have run quite a few Echo's in our tree business.  We have their two largest saws (don't remember the model #'s) and two of their mid-sized saws (4400).  We abuse the snot out of the mid-sized saws limbing trees and doing most of the cutting with them, and they still keep running strong.  We use the big saws on rare occasion, honestly.  We have other saws that cut wood much better.  For some reason the Echos don't have as much torque as some of the other saws we run of comparable size.  FWIW, we do not use Stihl saws.  Their "professional" saws don't seem to last long in our hands.  Same for Poulan Pro saws.  Echo is just about the only homeowner brand saw that actually stands up to our abuse if that means anything to you. 

My favorite saw for cutting wood is the Shindaiwa 757.  If you can find one of those for a good price, get it.  You will not be sorry.  Not only does that saw have gobs of torque, it also zips the chain around really quickly.  If I could have only one saw for cutting wood, that would be it.  We have bigger Husqvarna saws for wood but the Shindaiwa eats the wood better.  I know it's above your price range ($600-$650), but it really kicks butt!  The mid-sized saws we use are the Shindaiwa 488 and they also eat through some wood pretty well, but they're mostly our limbing saws. 

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 07:03:44 PM »

We run and have run quite a few Echo's in our tree business.  We have their two largest saws (don't remember the model #'s) and two of their mid-sized saws (4400).  We abuse the snot out of the mid-sized saws limbing trees and doing most of the cutting with them, and they still keep running strong.  We use the big saws on rare occasion, honestly.  We have other saws that cut wood much better.  For some reason the Echos don't have as much torque as some of the other saws we run of comparable size.  FWIW, we do not use Stihl saws.  Their "professional" saws don't seem to last long in our hands.  Same for Poulan Pro saws.  Echo is just about the only homeowner brand saw that actually stands up to our abuse if that means anything to you. 

My favorite saw for cutting wood is the Shindaiwa 757.  If you can find one of those for a good price, get it.  You will not be sorry.  Not only does that saw have gobs of torque, it also zips the chain around really quickly.  If I could have only one saw for cutting wood, that would be it.  We have bigger Husqvarna saws for wood but the Shindaiwa eats the wood better.  I know it's above your price range ($600-$650), but it really kicks butt!  The mid-sized saws we use are the Shindaiwa 488 and they also eat through some wood pretty well, but they're mostly our limbing saws.
Thanks for the honest advise!I have also heard that the Echo's are not quite as fast as others.
I have heard good things about theShindaiwa,but I don't know of any dealers close to me nor ever seen one.Is this the same company that makes fishing reels?LOL
I wouldn't even want to think about owning poulan.I have never jumped onto the Husky band wagon either.
I figure I won't get anything till after christmas,but I need to research all I can so I make a good purchase.I plan to keep whatever I buy for a long time. :thumbup:
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 09:14:39 PM »

if you buy a good saw what do you need a dealer for? lol

I pay absolutely no attention to dealers, and to be honest with you.  I wouldnt dare let some knot head mechanic there paying 8 bucks an hour work on my saw.  If it needs attention, I'll take care of it.  As far as parts, you can get any part for anything you want and have it within 2 days with all the resources that are online! 

I like my stihls.  truly beleive that dolmar, husqvarna, and shindaiwa are all good saws too. 

My 038 magnum is one i picked up on craigslist.  dont have much in it.  it needs a new right case but i put epoxy on it and it dont leak now.  it really has the torque and power, i dont even have the full chisel chain on it yet but it's impressive.  think its right around 5 hp. 

there is a big difference in the saws though.  a regular 038 has a 48mm piston, a 38 super has a 50mm piston, and the magnum like mine has a 52mm piston

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 12:48:34 PM »

I pay absolutely no attention to dealers, and to be honest with you.  I wouldnt dare let some knot head mechanic there paying 8 bucks an hour work on my saw.  If it needs attention, I'll take care of it.  As far as parts, you can get any part for anything you want and have it within 2 days with all the resources that are online! 

I like my stihls.  truly beleive that dolmar, husqvarna, and shindaiwa are all good saws too. 

My 038 magnum is one i picked up on craigslist.  dont have much in it.  it needs a new right case but i put epoxy on it and it dont leak now.  it really has the torque and power, i dont even have the full chisel chain on it yet but it's impressive.  think its right around 5 hp. 

there is a big difference in the saws though.  a regular 038 has a 48mm piston, a 38 super has a 50mm piston, and the magnum like mine has a 52mm piston
I agree with you on working on all my own equipment.The only time my stuff goes back to the dealer is if it's still under waranty.
I know you can get parts online,but sometimes when you need it now and not 2 days later is when the local dealer pays off.
I am really tempted to buy a bigger used saw offf ebay.There have been what seems to me good deals on used pro saws that have been repowered woth new pistons and rings with good compression numbers.I have been tossing that idea around alot here lately.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 06:26:36 PM »

I agree with you on working on all my own equipment.The only time my stuff goes back to the dealer is if it's still under waranty.
I know you can get parts online,but sometimes when you need it now and not 2 days later is when the local dealer pays off.
I am really tempted to buy a bigger used saw offf ebay.There have been what seems to me good deals on used pro saws that have been repowered woth new pistons and rings with good compression numbers.I have been tossing that idea around alot here lately.

i sell quite a few saws on there myself, be careful, you might buy one from me lol

ive had good luck buying saws on ebay, and selling too

Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 07:55:46 PM »

Scott7m
 are you also on the arborist site?I thought a guy over there said he sold saws on ebay also.
I think if you can buy one on there from a reputable guy who sells alot of them on there and perhaps goes through them like the ones I have seen listed.Would be a great way to get a bigger saw for maybe less money than a new mid grade saw.I also figure that even if it needed something in the future you would still have a saw which would be worth spending the money on to fix.
  Oh and if you do sell a bigger pro saw on e-bay.let me know hint hint.....LOL :thumbup:
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 09:06:22 PM »

will do.   just fixed up an 036 pro model, but that one went to a friend. 

i'll let you know if i find something nice.
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

jbird77

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 04:12:08 PM »

well as some of the others i have many different saws . but my favorite saw is my husky 288xp , The friends i have that are loggers dont like the newer huskys , they say they arent worth rebuilding , but he buys up all the 288,s he can says they are great saws , i will have to agree , i have had mine now for about 6 years and wel its good for me carrys a 24 in bar n chain , But now take what i saw with a grain of salt , just my two cents
Hardy h4 2003 model                                    
solo 603
husky 288xp
stihl 028 av super

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 08:15:20 PM »

Well I value everyones opinion that's why I asked for them.
I was leaning real hard on the new Stihl MS391 ,but I have pretty much convinced my self to hang out, and buy one of the rebuilt used pro saw that a few sellers on ebay have.I could get one of those and it would last me forever.Plus It would go along nicely with my 025 I have now.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 06:40:23 PM »

The Husky 288 is a great saw too.  Very fast chain speed, nice amount of torque.  I still prefer the shindaiwa, but I wouldn't sneeze at using the Husky either.  We have both, we use both regularly, the Shindaiwa seems a little more refined with a slower chain speed.