Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: My pipe smokes like crazy when I open the door????  (Read 2112 times)

jack1243

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: 500 gallon Hick Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 50003212008
    • View Profile
My pipe smokes like crazy when I open the door????
« on: December 16, 2012, 05:04:49 PM »

Aight, so I did a good clean out of my firebox yesterday and loaded the firebox last night got up this morning had some wood in the box so just left it alone temp was right at 175. Later today went out to see how things were going temp was at 170 but still good opened the door and the flue pipe began to smoke so bad it ran me out of the Carriage House where we have the stove. The clean-out box and flue pipes are all clean. Any suggestions on why the pipe is smoking this much with the door open to re-fuel the stove? It goes from and 8" to a 6" masonary chimeny that is about 25 ft tall. I don't have a peak of the roof so I don't think its a down draft. Like I said, "I'm looking for ideas and thoughts."

baldwin racing

• OWF Brand: Thermo-Control (indoor)
  • OWF Model: 500/2000 (in the insulated jacket)
    • View Profile
Re: My pipe smokes like crazy when I open the door????
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 05:59:27 PM »

Aight, so I did a good clean out of my firebox yesterday and loaded the firebox last night got up this morning had some wood in the box so just left it alone temp was right at 175. Later today went out to see how things were going temp was at 170 but still good opened the door and the flue pipe began to smoke so bad it ran me out of the Carriage House where we have the stove. The clean-out box and flue pipes are all clean. Any suggestions on why the pipe is smoking this much with the door open to re-fuel the stove? It goes from and 8" to a 6" masonary chimeny that is about 25 ft tall. I don't have a peak of the roof so I don't think its a down draft. Like I said, "I'm looking for ideas and thoughts."
may have to do with the reducing of the pipe? not enough flow when you open the door because it was made to have 8 inch pipe? but with 25 foot tall you would not think so but you may have to contack dealer and see what they say? are you opening the door slowly and letting it sit for couple seconds before opening all the way? just throwing ideas out......
kelly
husqvarna 357 xp
allis-chalmers 5050 2,100 org hrs
farmall m (set up for just tractor pulling)
farmall H

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 08:25:38 PM »

When your burning a lot of wood like that, your making lots of creosote n such, as your smoke travels up a chimney that long it often cools and gathers on the walls of the chimney, eventually restricting flow.  Could be that
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 01:14:48 PM »

Jack,

I noticed in another post you stated that the dampers were left open.

When I was using my last Hicks stove I did the same. My Aquastat was out when I bought the house.
I thought it was better to waist the wood than have to come back out at night and check on it.

If you are running with the dampers open close them. Running the stove with the dampers open
like that causes alot of unspent fuel to go up the stack and causing creosote on the walls.

It's best to allow your type of stove to run full out until it's up to the proper degree then shut down
barely allowing air to pass.

I've spoke with Mark about the dampers and alot of his customers ask for them so he just installs for all.