Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pro Fab Cozyburn or Portage and Main  (Read 7560 times)

Sdh1218

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Pro Fab Cozyburn or Portage and Main
« on: September 20, 2012, 07:03:06 PM »

Hi

New member here (name is Sean) I'm in the process of building a 2800 SF house in central MI. The house is spray foamed and has R50 blown in insulation in the attic. Also have a furnace and hot water heater for each story of the house (it's 2 story's). I'm looking to heat the house, hot water and possibly a attached insulated 28x28 garage. I'm looking for opinions on furnaces. I have a relative that is a dealer for Cozyburn (same company that makes Empyer) it's mild steel not stainless like the Empyer line and he's local also looking at the P&M ML, the P&M dealer is about 2-3 hrs away. Would like to know people's opinions on both brands and if the P&M is worth the extra money. Any opinions or ideas would be apreciated.

Thanks Sean

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Pro Fab Cozyburn or Portage and Main
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »

Cozeburn is just one of the Empyre models.

A proper install is as important as anything, if you are to have an issue, having a dealer nearby is a big plus.

The firebox roof design and exhaust is a lot like central boiler on the cozeburn only cozeburn has grates, fan, and such.

The portage and main stoves are good units as well, it's just a matter of preference but definitely keep in mind that it could be a pain having a dealer 3 hours away if a problem should arise
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

boilerman

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 10:22:32 PM »

Sean, why are you using spray foam to insulate your house?

jbc

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 02:51:59 AM »

I checked out most of the local central Michigan models.

I really like this manufactures stoves--

http://ridgewoodstove.com/ridgewoodsept_008.htm

You are purchasing from the manufacture without a $$$ middle man.

Many people will beat-up the the things like--how long will they be around--natural draft wont burn green wood..

Well they do burn green wood--although as expected--green wood in not very efficent

If they stay around--great!...If not I got a really simply stove without all the bells-n-whistles to have problems with...There very well built which I seen for myself with a tour of there building the stoves.

Now the big thing--these stoves are atleast 40%++ cheaper stove for stove!...Plus the owner sells you the great z-supply underground piping at cost!...another huge $$$ savings.

Bottom line is this, CB + Hawkens estimates where 13,000-14,500, I will have about $5,700 into hooking up 2 houses, plus a 1,200 SQ pole barn!...HUGE difference IMO.

JBC

Sdh1218

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 07:06:02 AM »

Sean, why are you using spray foam to insulate your house?

For better insulating. The best part is that it stops air infiltration. The house is in the final stages (trim,carpet) the spray foam has made a huge diffrence when it was 90 out the inside temp stayed around 65 or so most of the day of the doors were kept closed and the AC not even hooked up yet. The cost was more but I should recoup the cost diff in a few years with the energy savings.

boilerman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 05:16:51 PM »

There you go Sean, for the same reason you are insulating your home with foam, you should want a OWF that has been insulated with urethane foam as well and your water delivery lines too. That is the main reason I am a firm believer and Central Boiler owner. Eliminates heat loss from the water jacket and Thermopex in the ground. Stops moisture and wind/air penetration heat loss. The 2 brands you mentioned only use fiberglass batting. I'm sure you must have a Central Boiler dealer near you. I would recommend you check out their standard Classic model and Eclassic gasser models as well if you want to burn less wood. Sounds like you are building a quality house, physically check out your heating options as well and don't under size. CB has some great videos as well at www.centralboiler.com/brochure.html   
Check out their Eclassic advantage video. Really shows you how their gasser works.

Sdh1218

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 05:51:19 PM »

There you go Sean, for the same reason you are insulating your home with foam, you should want a OWF that has been insulated with urethane foam as well and your water delivery lines too. That is the main reason I am a firm believer and Central Boiler owner. Eliminates heat loss from the water jacket and Thermopex in the ground. Stops moisture and wind/air penetration heat loss. The 2 brands you mentioned only use fiberglass batting. I'm sure you must have a Central Boiler dealer near you. I would recommend you check out their standard Classic model and Eclassic gasser models as well if you want to burn less wood. Sounds like you are building a quality house, physically check out your heating options as well and don't under size. CB has some great videos as well at www.centralboiler.com/brochure.html   
Check out their Eclassic advantage video. Really shows you how their gasser works.

Thanks for the input I'll check out there videos and see if there is a dealer close.

HandyMark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 07:44:36 PM »

I am glad I read on before opening my mouth Boilerman. I thought you were about to bash foam. I love mine and I also love my CB5036. I am not familiar with the other models mentioned. Are they not using spray foam on these?

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 08:29:05 PM »

I am glad I read on before opening my mouth Boilerman. I thought you were about to bash foam. I love mine and I also love my CB5036. I am not familiar with the other models mentioned. Are they not using spray foam on these?

No, most companies use r30 bat.

I've ran Natures Comfort, Heatmaster, and Empyre.  Snow will lay on the roofs of each and never melt.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

jbc

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 03:45:05 PM »

Yes Ridgewood uses foam.....

http://ridgewoodstove.com/ridgewoodsept_008.htm

Look at the pictures---foam..

Plus you would be supporting a local Michigander.

JBC

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 03:48:39 PM by jbc »

boilerman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 07:39:25 PM »

Looks like a pretty crude design and some pretty rough welding. Design looks like it will be a wood guzzler too. I guess if your back and free time are not worth much, it will heat your house while it holds togethter.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 08:20:20 PM »

That door latch is classic.....  Kinda reminds me of a Hoss/tennessee wood furnace. 
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

jbc

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 06:53:42 AM »

I did my homework and look at this this way, when I ran down owners of some of the well known designs and companies, they had there fair share of problems also---I think it's purely how the stove is made and how it's maintained. I see 10K central boilers "with good welds--LOL" have leakage problems that go unresolved with the manufacture within 2-3 even 4 years of new ownership. Other stainless versions that have spiderweb cracks from front to back that have leakage problems(beyond there engineering problem to begin with!!). Another one which "sheds" welding slag like its a Newfinland dog' years after being purchased....If you want to see plenty of unhappy customers, simply begin searching craigslist for used stoves----There's plenty of unhappy/cracked and leaking/ or "The best in the world" stoves for under 3K---Then ask yourself why I would'nt want to spend 3K on a NEW stove?.....then why dont you begin to tell me why a CB/PM/Hawken--etc/ect' that is priced almost 40-50+++% more is "so much efficent-etc'....Simply the well mass marketed pieces WON'T burn 3K++ less wood over there entire life span--no way no how period! And to say you will have to "pitch more wood" in your stove until your back hurts because it's a inefficent design is---well that's silly at best to support your homework at buying a high dollar priced mass marketed stove IMO...No different then pulling up in your Cadillac and parking it next to my Honda Civic hybred car at the resterant...To each there own, the dinner ordered will still taste the same. ;)

I ran down owners of Ridgewood, although they have not been around for years like some of the mega-marketing examples, they appear to be well built and engineered. The owner has come from a well known manufacture and has basic knowledge of the market and stoves out there. Owners seem to be happy without complaints or problems because of there "basic design"---No they wont win the perdyest" stove award at a show--but they don't break and don't leak. You are not having to go replacing a power motor on the stove door a 0 degree's when they go out. You dont have to spend HOURS to clean the chimney or baffles--"I would rather pitch one piece of wood more a day to eliminate the baffle and chimney cleaning regiment required with the so called efficent stoves"---This opinion comes from more then a handful of people I asked who own mass marketed stoves--not myself--I could'nt agree more!

I also believe that being around wood heat for years myself, each stove has the ability to be efficent or "uneffective" way of heating--each stove and application must be "mastered" by the owner to get the most out of his/her stove for home heating. Every stove has a "sweet spot" as far as efficeny weather it's the type of wood burnt, the amount of fuel added to the stove, or the dampner settings---I think any good experianced wood burning person can master it with a good engineered plan of attack.

To each there own and I can only recommend a lot of research here on this site and more forums---But to say that a 10K stove is "better" then a 3K stove---well to each there own, but I am more of a conservative spender of my $$$ and can not to this day see why a mass market products like that are on every street corner for sale are any "better" or efficent in the long run with all things considered....Efficent in my book includes BTU transfer rate and maintance required for a burning season for a given stove over the life time of the stove.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that all mass marketed stove are junk, there simply a LONG way from my choice when evaluated from top to bottom everything inbetween analized.

JBC

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 06:58:55 AM »

To each their own....  How many winters have you ran that ridge wood 7500?
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697