Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: water loss  (Read 15031 times)

Jason

• View Profile
Re: water loss
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 07:59:18 AM »

Dog- my furnace scared the hell out of me the other day and I thought of your post.

I came home from work and it looked like the ash pile beside my furnace was smoking.  I figured either wife or father in law cleaned the ashes out.  Good job.  Then when I got closer I saw it wasn't smoke but steam.  The overflow had steam shooting out and the vent stack was steaming.  Father in law assumed the low water float hung up and we needed water.  It was steaming too bad to get the vent stack off to look into the water jacket.  I got the water flowing to the furnace and by then it was starting to ease up a bit.  That was not the problem.  The water level was fine.  I opened the firebox door and there was some paper burning inside.  3 hours previous, father in law threw a bag of paper and a couple small blocks of styrofoam into the firebox.  We don't use it like a garbage disposal but I will burn the occasional bit of paper or cardboard box.  I wasn't thrilled about the foam.  The furnace wasn't calling for heat so there was no air going into the firebox.  When it finally did light it just kept burning and overheated the water, causing a real hard boil.  You could hear the water sloshing in the water jacket.

I guess my point is this- FIL put a  bag of paper in the furnace and went about his day.  These seemed at first to be 2 totally unrelated occurrences.  If you happen to be burning paper you could be doing the same thing.  Not even very much paper at a time.  Just something for you to consider.

I'm not blaming FIL and not mad at him.  Like I said I burn a bit of paper too.  We both learned on that one.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

dumbodog00

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 06:43:33 PM »

No, I don't burn paper or any other "stuff" other than wood and coal.  I have half a suspicion that the fire gets too hot at the chimney and that is why the "high temp." caulking will not last.  I usually load the wood to about halfway up the door or less.  At times, flames shoot out the chimney.  It is not a chimney fire from creosote.  It is just the flames shooting up.  The H2 does not have a plate below the chimeny like other models do.
     I am really tired of adding water.  If my house water was okay and I could use the auto fill, I wouldn't care.  But getting water offsite when rain water is frozen is not fun.
     As far as I can tell, the water is not getting too hot.  The water temp. seems to be on par with the aquastat.  The water steams and pools aroud the chimney.  I have never seen evidence of any leaks anywhere else.  I guess I should call my dealer and Hardy again.  I just wish I could quit adding water.
     Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 07:02:28 PM »

i am not familiar with this stove but I would guess, if you are adding water more than say a gallon a month your dealer needs to be questioned and some explanation is due (at the very least)
perhaps some stove owners of this model can help or at least explain what is going on
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada
Pages: 1 [2]