Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Shaver mods I did to my 165  (Read 3255 times)

brink1963

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Shaver mods I did to my 165
« on: October 27, 2012, 10:30:04 AM »

Listed below are the mods I did to my Shaver 165 before I started using it this year.

1. Drained the tank and placed 2 copper pipes 3/4 in diameter into the return ports of the furnace, the pipes extend to the front wall of the tank. I cut about half of the diameter of the pipe about 3 inches long off and inserted them so the notch was facing up. The reason I did this mod was to move the return lines further away from the pump ports, which I hope will cause more circulation of the hot water in the tank. Which should cause hotter water circulating through the heat exchangers and less wood being burned.

2. Took the fire box door off, removed the old insulation and installed new, wrapped the exposed edge of the insulation / plate with metal furnace tape. Also cleaned out the old silicon form the door seal area and placed a stripe of the house door seal insulating felt around the fire box door seal channel and covered it with new silicon. Seems to be a good seal and is hold up so far, I have been using it since the beginning of October.

3. I drilled and tapped a 3/8 inch hole into the fire box door catch and inserted a bolt with a nut on the end so I can increase pressure on the door of the fire box as needed if the door seal becomes gapped. I had posted about the idea of doing that mod last year and I saw a new Shaver at the county fair with it this summer so I suppose I was a good idea.

4. Added more insulation in the top of the unit and let some of it drape over the front to the top of the pumps.

5. Added a control circuit to the blower, so that when the tank thermostat calls for heat the blower and the blower flap both turn on for 15 minutes then the blower shuts off and the flap stays open for 5 minutes. If the thermostat is still calling for heat then the cycle continues until the call for heat ends. The reasoning behind this was to allow the hot water in the tank to absorb the heat from the fire box without having the water temp ramp up past the actual setting on the stat. I think this will help create longer burn times.

jimr

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
Re: Shaver mods I did to my 165
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:13:21 AM »

i believe everything you did you will be pleased with the results.