Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: my stove not keeping up  (Read 9990 times)

Burns

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
my stove not keeping up
« on: November 25, 2012, 08:59:01 AM »

When the radaint floor heat for my garage comes on my wood stove goes from aprox 180 degrees to 70 to 80 degrees. How do I fix it. Have had the stove for four years and this is the first year for using it in the garage.

MrDan27611

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: ML42
    • View Profile
Re: my stove not keeping up
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 01:41:44 PM »

That's a huge swing. My first question is, is the reading correct? Do you have secondary indications of that kind of drop. At 70 degrees, the water is cool to the touch.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
Mark Twain

Burns

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 04:47:30 PM »

that is what it is going to. I have a temp gun that i am reading this with.

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 06:12:28 PM »

How big is the slab? Was the floor insulated correctly during install? Does the system ever stabilize and recover?

jnicol6600

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 6000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 07:37:21 PM »

Warming my basement slab the first time each year puts a pretty good load on my hardy h2. But after its warmed up I dont notice it not keeping up.
My garage slab doesnt seem to do this but Its only 28x29 feet and I didnt load the whole thing with tubing.
You could put a tempering valve in the garage loop to keep the return water from being too cold.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 09:09:03 PM »

Is it able to recover again before the floor is heated?
Either put an aquastat on the main boiler line that shuts off the floor if the temp drops below a set point or limit how much water the floor loop can pull from the main loop by partially closing a valve.

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 03:41:07 AM »

I can almost bet that your cold water is dumping back into the same chamber as the pumps are drawing from.  I had this same problem.  The quick fix is to run your return lines up through the top removable panel and then hook to some piping that runs to the front of the stove.  The problem is that the returns are only stubbed into the back and not ran to the big part of the water tank.

gas-on

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 06:35:11 PM »

I had the same problem with my Shaver 165. I came on here and asked the same question. I received many answers some right and some made me do a few changes and work through the issues. I heat my 2800 sqft house and my 1200 sqft shop. The house is forced air and the shop is all radiant heat.  I have temp gauges in my out going and incoming lines. Before the water left at 140 degrees and returned 70 degrees when the floor was on. Now the water leaves at 165 degrees and returns at 140 degrees. The stove can recover that much with out a problem.

I did the following to solve the issue:

1. I installed a bypass loop before the floor controls.
2. I opened the mixing valve on the floor all the way open, allowing the most return water back in the floor. This did alot of things including making the floor cycle more.
3. Installed a Ranco Control. I set it at 165 off with a 10 degree dif.
4. I installed a 75 cfm fan with a solenoid damper.