Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: outdoor boiler wiring  (Read 4583 times)

markamx

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
outdoor boiler wiring
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:01:29 PM »

hi, im a newbie i just installed my outdoor boiler its a heatsourse 555 im installing brand new base board thew my home according to slantfins calculator my questions are how do i control the heat comming into my home and how to hook up a thermostat to the boiler now the boiler has a ranco stat on it do i hook up my home thermostat to that or not also can i run 2 circulator pumps of the header i built into yhe one 1/1/4 pex tubing comming into the house or do i have to buy another line i have more questions buti will ask later thanks

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: outdoor boiler wiring
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 03:28:41 PM »

You only need to run 120v to the boiler. It should have the Ranco aquastat already wired up. It controls the temperature of the water in the boiler which does not have anything to do with your house thermostat.
You will get continuous hot water flowing to your house. If you have it plumbed direct to your baseboard heaters and you want to control the temperature with a thermostat you will need additional controls in the house. Either secondary pump(s) or zone valve(s).

Assuming you have all your baseboard heaters in one loop, I would use a pump to control the heat. Run the pipe from your OWB to the domestic water heat exchanger (side arm, plate, etc) then put 2 tees as close together as you can get them. Put a pump in your baseboard heater loop and use the two tees as your supply and return and control that pump with your thermostat.

markamx

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 10:46:40 AM »

hi.thanks for the info but how do i put a thermostat on a circpump  do i need a zone relay and would a 1/20 taco pump work also i havent plumbed anything yet in wanna do it right once

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:10:56 AM »

hi.thanks for the info but how do i put a thermostat on a circpump  do i need a zone relay and would a 1/20 taco pump work also i havent plumbed anything yet in wanna do it right once

You can probably do it either way, but a zone valve will work well.  It simply allows the water to either flow through your baseboards or bypass them and return to the main line.  You will need the zone valve and a thermostate with a power source.  If you already have a thermostate you may be able to use it.  My zone valve works off 24VAC.  I bought a 24VAC transformer and an aquastate(water heating)/thermosate(air heating).  The thermostate simply closes a relay engaging the voltage to the valve.  Just have to make sure they are all rated for the current the valve needs, but they are pretty small.  I think mine is 300mA.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 11:19:55 AM »

If the zone relay is for a 120v zone valve then it should work. It will need to have a transformer and relay in it. Lookup a Honeywell RA831A to get an idea what they look like.

Is your whole house just one zone? Without knowing exactly how you have it setup I would guess a taco 007 would be enough. I would get a Grundfos 15-58 instead though. It is 3 speed and IMO a much better pump but not much more expensive.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 11:25:16 AM »

You can probably do it either way, but a zone valve will work well.  It simply allows the water to either flow through your baseboards or bypass them and return to the main line.  You will need the zone valve and a thermostate with a power source.  If you already have a thermostate you may be able to use it.  My zone valve works off 24VAC.  I bought a 24VAC transformer and an aquastate(water heating)/thermosate(air heating).  The thermostate simply closes a relay engaging the voltage to the valve.  Just have to make sure they are all rated for the current the valve needs, but they are pretty small.  I think mine is 300mA.
Yeah, either way will work fine. The pump for the OWB might need to be larger using the zone valve because it is having to push through all the baseboard heaters too and if you have a failure it is probably easier to find a pump and change it than a valve.

Pretty much comes down to personal preference.

markamx

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »

hi, wow thanks to all who replied the pumps i have are a taco oo7 1/25 hp rpm 3250 and a bell andgosset 1/20 hp 2900 rpm now ihave  yet another question when your talking of the zone valves what do i get 2 way or 3 way and when i return it back to the main line is that the return or supply and yes i belive im gonna just run the up and down stairs off one zone my home is small only 1200 square feet also can i run 2 pumps off the main return on the boiler into one undergrond 1/1/4 pex tube or do i have to buy more of the expensive pipe thanks

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 03:30:24 PM »

If you are using a zone valve, get a 3 way. Assuming you are heating your DHW put it after that. You will need to put a tee in the return line and that is where the 3rd port on the zone valve will connect. All it will do is bypass the baseboard heaters in the house when the thermostat shuts off.

I am not sure what you mean about more than one pump off the main return. if you have 1-1/4" insulated pex running to your house it is more than enough for the whole house.
Those pumps should be fine for what you need.

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 06:27:10 AM »

hi, im a newbie i just installed my outdoor boiler its a heatsourse 555 im installing brand new base board thew my home according to slantfins calculator my questions are how do i control the heat comming into my home and how to hook up a thermostat to the boiler now the boiler has a ranco stat on it do i hook up my home thermostat to that or not also can i run 2 circulator pumps of the header i built into yhe one 1/1/4 pex tubing comming into the house or do i have to buy another line i have more questions buti will ask later thanks
I hope you got a killer deal on your furnace, cause as you know. Heatsource just filed bankruptcy. Keep your water treatment up and hope for many years of trouble free use! Welcome to the world of owb and to the forumn.

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 09:04:25 AM »

You can use a zone valves for each zone or use a pump for each zone. Zone valves would probably be cheaper. You can build a supply and return header with tees for for each zone. you can probably find piping diagraham on net showing pipe arrangement. picture worth thousand words.