Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Thoughts on buying used logstor  (Read 1978 times)

mj

• View Profile
Thoughts on buying used logstor
« on: October 17, 2018, 09:00:24 PM »

I have a local farmer that is selling a used length of logstor. He previously had the cheap foil wrapped pipe and replaced it with this logstor and 2yrs later he had an accident and couldn't cut wood anymore so he dug up the thermopex and scrapped his old central boiler bc it had already been repaired multiple times. He dug it up last year and it has been sitting inside his barn since then. The lines have not been capped off so if I buy it I was planning on flushing both lines out with a garden hose before I hook it up. I know I need to look the entire length over to make sure he didn't puncture it with his hoe but is there any possible issues using used pipe?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:37:25 AM by mj »

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Thoughts on buying used logstor
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 10:10:06 PM »

Don’t think I’d pay more than half of new, it could probably be repaired long as he didn’t completely mangle it. Some adhesive silicone and a large piece of heat shrink
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on buying used logstor
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 07:06:04 AM »

Do you know how it was removed? If actually carefully dug and removed, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to use it if the price was right. But if he hooked a chain on the end and ripped it out like most do, there's likely a ton of cracks in the foam now and it's separated from the tubing, so any water that lands on an exposed end or through any small puncture in the jacket will run down along the tubing and cause troubles. I gave some used Logstor to a neighbor last fall who had fallen on hard times and needed some heat; it was removed in the latter fashion and was very fractured up inside, but the jacket was free of any nicks and we took good care putting it back in and sealed both ends with spray silicone. It works very well for him