Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Heat Exchanger Pump??  (Read 5157 times)

jon d

• View Profile
Heat Exchanger Pump??
« on: December 31, 2008, 06:37:35 PM »

I have the flat plate exchanger on my water heaters..  Wondering if anyone thought about or had  ideals on putting a recirculation pump next to the inlet of the exchanger.  Thought it might enable the water heater to keep up with hot water usage. ???
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09

ckbetz

• View Profile
Re: Heat Exchanger Pump??
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 05:00:38 PM »

I think Central Boiler recommends that you have your pump run constantly, and your heat exchanger should be plumbed into the circulation pump that constantly runs.
Pomeroy, Ohio

jon d

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 07:49:54 PM »

Yes, u are correct.. I have two pumps at the cb5036 feeding two exchangers at two water heaters then to furnace exchangers. I'm wanting to increase (by adding a pump) domestic hot water flow through the exchanger.  thanks
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 08:21:13 PM »

Yes, u are correct.. I have two pumps at the cb5036 feeding two exchangers at two water heaters then to furnace exchangers. I'm wanting to increase (by adding a pump) domestic hot water flow through the exchanger.  thanks
1st...is this possable, i dont think you speed up the flow of water from your domestic side of things unless your supplier ups the size of your pipes or the delivery pressure?? (you may be able to increase the gpm by increasing the pipe size in your home as your meter is likely 3/4 or 1 inch..if you were to use that size of pipe to the exchanger and then from the exchanger to your  hot water tank and then to your appliance, that may increase the flow...but if the water in these new pipes cool down they will be holding more water and it will take the increase flow just a long as before to move the extra cool water in the pipes)

2nd ...why , if your problem is your  wife has to wait a few min. for  the hot water to get to the tap...move the exchanger closer to the tap in question or, if you have the plate exchanger siphoning through the hot water tank, i have heard of folks that put a circulating pump on the domestic side to keep the hot water circulating in the house hold lines...allthough i find this is a waste of time, energy and money

3... if you cant heat water fast enough to supply your demand (and your furnace still has a supply of hot water available) you need a bigger exchanger

OR..have i missed the subject completely (as i have been know too)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jon d

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 08:20:17 PM »

Update on exchanger. Had been having problems with a flatplate on a water heater in a beauty shop. Worked great after first installed. I had 180 degree water before the mixing valve. After time exchanger stopped producing hot water. The piping on the inlet and outlet of the exchanger were not hot like they were when first installed.  I read where someone had to flush//drain their water heater once a season to keep their exchanger inlet clear. So all i did was hook water hose to waterheater  drain. Drained @ 5gals. I then walked back to the waterheater  and felt the pipes on each side of the flatplate,,,,Too hot to hold on to. problem fixed so far.... Also i'd like to thank willeG for his help and advice in troubleshooting my problem.   
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky