Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Temp settings in hew high efficiency house  (Read 2638 times)

Wi woodburner

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 5500
    • View Profile
Temp settings in hew high efficiency house
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:38:04 PM »

Good evening all and happy heating season...I have a woodmaster 5500 heating close to 5000 sq feet.  I installed the unit last winter and have worked out many of the bugs I had posted about last year.  Currently our air temps are in the 40's and lows in the 20's. My forced air furnace will not run all day in the house which I like, but I feel I am "wasting" wood as the house is not calling for any heat.  Last year I suggested adding a few extra loops off of my return line to help heat the floor and use the heat that my air furnace is not calling for.  I have an exposed basement so adding lines would be fairly straight forward.

First question is should I change me water temps from 170 high with a 10 deg diff?

Also adding a few loops of 1/2 pex be a easy quick good idea? 

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Temp settings in hew high efficiency house
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 04:18:59 AM »

In my opinion a steel boiler should be run at 185 or higher with a fairly tight differential (10 degrees or less ) in order to curb condensation within the boiler, as far as radiant lines, take a look at Ultra Fin, how easy to install, less power consumption than the blower on your furnace and no mixing valve needed!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Wi woodburner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 09:32:22 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  As far as running the lines, here is what I was thinking:

Tee into my 1" PEX with the off tee going down to 1/2"  I would install a shut off here just incase it doesn't work as planned or is too hot in mild weather.  I was planning on running 1 300 foot loop and then coming back into the 1.00" PEX.

Would I be better to TEE into my supply or return line?  I am thinking Return line???

Would I need to look into a bigger pump?

Wi woodburner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 07:24:29 PM »

Slimjim,  if I added 2- 200 foot loops off of my return line, will I need to install another pump?  What I was thinking was tee off the return line and run one loop right when the lines enter the house and then another one right after it leaves the coil in the forced air furnace.  I looked at the ultra fins and will be going with this option.  My only concern would be that by adding the additional loops and length to the return that my flow will be screwed up.  Should I look at adding anything else other than the tee fittings and shut off valves in case the loops do not work?

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 05:03:59 AM »

I would use another circ to control the added loops of Ultra-Fin.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Wi woodburner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 06:37:46 PM »

Is there one you would recommend?  Also would I put the pump after I tee off the return line or should I put the pump on the main 1.00 line some where?