Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: 28-40  (Read 16106 times)

Super44

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: Ultimizer BL 2840
    • View Profile
Re: 28-40
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2016, 08:28:01 AM »

Is it expected to have a few leaky connections after shutting down the boiler for summer?  I did not need to add any water all winter and  after cooling down a couple of the shark bites are leaking.  Crimped ones seem fine.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2016, 09:17:44 AM »

On shark bites and compression fittings, it is fairly normal to have drips when they cool, compression fittings should be tightened after they cool.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2016, 03:55:42 PM »

On shark bites and compression fittings, it is fairly normal to have drips when they cool, compression fittings should be tightened after they cool.

Yep, was a common thing to give all the original compression fittings I used the first time around an 1/8 or a turn after it had cooled off, so far none of my Logstor fittings have leaked a drop hot or cold.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

blmike

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: portage & main
  • OWF Model: bl2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2016, 12:26:36 PM »

Well winter is coming to an end,and i still have not got the smoke problem fixed.I added a length of pipe,made and installed a flapper in the fill opening.Nothing has helped,except letting the fire right out before refilling. That works this time of year but not so much at -40.I have not had to add water for a month now,do not know what has changed other that the weather and that should not matter.  :-\ 

FareNorth

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2016, 04:23:40 PM »

For what it's worth, never saw adding water as a sore point. When I see the level going down, I just crack the water valve open a second to add water into the loop inside the house. No need to fill from outside.

Next time I feed it more wood, if it's still a bit low, I give it a bit more. If I had to add 2 gallons all Winter, I would be surprised.

I think this is acceptable loss since I see steam from it occasionally just as the aquastat kills the fan when it reaches max temp.

As far as smoke, I don't think you can avoid it but can be reduced. I just crack the ash tray open to allow a draft if the fan is off. I have made the mistake of loading wood into it and forgetting to close the ash tray because of a phone call that interrupted my normal procedure.

So now, before I go out to load wood, I increase the temp on house thermostat to get the boiler hot. This reduces the smoke that would be sitting inside looking for the path of least resistance, which seems to be the door due to the baffle in the back of the boiler. With an active draft in process, it makes loading wood less of a smokey procedure. Sometimes I get treated to coals burning with blue flames. It kills me to add wood and drop the temp of the boiler but -20 temps require more fuel to make it through the night. Again, all makes sense to me and just had to learn its behavior and adapted mine.

All in all, have been very happy with my boiler. I am grateful for the help from many people here that have made the path energy independence from oil much easier.

blmike

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: portage & main
  • OWF Model: bl2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2016, 10:33:46 AM »

There is a fine line between to much wood and not enough at fill ups.I can fill the water from inside the house also,keep an eye on the float,as it will fill with water,ask me how know.I have extend the smoke pipe 4ft ,made and installed a flapper in the door opening,helps some .
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]