Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: thinking about buy one  (Read 8971 times)

tanner

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Legend
  • OWF Model: 4135
    • View Profile
thinking about buy one
« on: May 09, 2012, 06:48:04 PM »

I was looking at a wood master untill i found out the price.  I understand u get what u pay for most of the time but shurly they cant b a hole lot of differnce between them.  So i was looking at the earth outdoors and i was wondering if anyone has one that could share some info.  I have a 1200 sqft home and wona heat water wondering what size would b the best.  I liked the hole ash pan but the doors seem alitte small so i would prob get one without one.  But any info would help.

parforthecourse

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Rancher 360
    • View Profile
Re: thinking about buy one
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 05:50:03 AM »

Well I am not an expert but the price was the reason I went toward Earth.   A few less bells and whistles which kept the cost at a total of 7600.   That included all the pipe,20 inch heat exchange etc.   I got the Hot Water Coil for domestic water.   I have had our hot water heater off since the install which my wife and I completed.  The water has been plenty hot.  Only a few bunps in the road.   It works great so far.   I can tell better when the winter sets in but we needed heat a couple of days and turned the heat exchanger on and it did ok.   I really havnt had the temp over 155.   It is worth the money.   The half in fire box is good.   Once heat is stored it makes it worth it.   We did the Rancher 360 and have twice the squar footage then you.   More is better I think.   I now have it on 24 hours a day with the heat exchanger off and it smolders and I put wood in like once a day.   Sometime at this point dosnt even need wood.   It maintains heat real well.   Once again I havnt had it runnning in the winter yet.   Be glad to help if I can.

franky1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 07:28:40 AM »

you wanna heat 1200 sq ft,,,check out the ML 25 at portage and main.
dont think it will cost close to 7600 bucks

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 05:56:11 PM »

What state are you in? If you need a EPA unit then it is a 10k boiler
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

tanner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 05:36:21 PM »

I live in GA i checkd on the P M and just for the heater it was around 6000 I called a earth dealler about three hrs from me and he also deals in natures comfort and he was pushing the natures comfort more than the earth. I really dnt know much abt the natures comfort.  If i knew it was gona be this hard to figer out witch one to buy i would have started along time ago. :)

HandyMark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 07:07:21 PM »

I looked at wood master, and Shaver and ultimately chose Central Boiler. The 5036 would be more than enough for your needs for $6310 according to their site.  A 4030 might be enough for a grand less. I can't say enough about how happy I am to own this furnace. I have never seen a P&M or earth so I have nothing bad to say about either one.

tanner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:52:50 PM »

Does anyone know anything about natures comfort?

jgw

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 12:56:08 PM »

I looked at wood master, and Shaver and ultimately chose Central Boiler. The 5036 would be more than enough for your needs for $6310 according to their site.  A 4030 might be enough for a grand less. I can't say enough about how happy I am to own this furnace. I have never seen a P&M or earth so I have nothing bad to say about either one.
I looked at the Shaver, and Hardy and chose the Central Boiler 5036, My neighbor thought the CB5036 was too expensive and bought the shavers......he saw my 5036 this week and said it was well worth the money and wish he had spent the few extra bucks for one. The workmanship on the Shavers is poor and he had to seal around some of the edges already.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 01:58:35 PM »

Does anyone know anything about natures comfort?
Send me a PM with any questions about them. I am one of their dealers.

boilerman

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 08:29:37 PM »

jgw, congrats on your purchase. Your neighbors response is a perfect reason why anyone looking to buy an OWF should physically see and touch various models before buying. The price you pay today or the few bucks you may save, may create more work and issues tommorow. Price is not everything. There are reasons for price differences in construction and technology.

jgw

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 12:12:16 PM »

jgw, congrats on your purchase. Your neighbors response is a perfect reason why anyone looking to buy an OWF should physically see and touch various models before buying. The price you pay today or the few bucks you may save, may create more work and issues tommorow. Price is not everything. There are reasons for price differences in construction and technology.
boilerman I agree with everything you said above. Got everything installed, just put my thermostats in and I will do my first burn this evening for my trail run.
I am loving this machine already........well worth the money.

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 02:04:01 PM »

jgw,

Did your neighbor contact his Shaver Dealer of the problems he had. The Dealer you choose is also very important. Do not get a dealer that has bought 4 furnaces, 1 for himself and 1 for three different neighbors to become a Dealer and now does not care anymore. A Dealer who cares is rare!

Greg Steinacher
618-401-0726
www.midwestoutdoorfurnace.com

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 10:22:57 PM »

Okay, rarely is cheaper better. Yes prices may vary a little bit between units, but in the long run I've found if your making your purchase strictly by whats the cheapest, sooner or later you will be disappointed.

I've rarely found that paying for the heavy duty, industrial, or commercial version of anything is a waste of money.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

woodbutcher

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: MF10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 08:57:50 AM »

Look at the owb on the market, all of them. There is a big difference between them. Most of the high priced ones have a lot of bells and whistle that don't make them work any better than the bare bones one do. The simpler the unit the easier it is to maintain. Thin verses thick? That is a personal preference. Thin will not last as long as thick. Remember the fire's in the firebox and that takes the most abuse. After a couple of years what is going to take the intense heat better? Stainless verses steel, stainless is expensive and the firebox is going to be a lot thinner. Don't let a big name company make your decision for you. The best way is to drive around and stop in by owner and see what they say. The more different makes you look at the more information you will get. I have a CB and have recommended them, but after I saw what the company has done since I bough mine 15 years ago, I would not recommended one.