Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Calling all E-Classic Owners  (Read 6152 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Calling all E-Classic Owners
« on: October 23, 2014, 09:33:52 AM »

Hi all - I finally fired up the CB E-Classic 1400 this morning.  All was going well until about a 1/2 hour into warming the water.  The unit for some reason shut itself down.  I looked at the Firestar panel and it showed an LO on the LED display indicating a low water alarm.  So I double checked the water level and it was down approximately a 1/2 inch.  So, I topped it off and flipped the switch back on and it fired right up.  About another 20 or so minutes into heating the water it did same thing with the same LO on the display.  I called my CB dealer and he said the water level sensor is faulty.  He gave brief description of how to by-pass it but I didn't catch all of the details.  If anyone has by-passed the low water sensor, please let me know what I need to do.  I'll be getting a new sensor tomorrow (payday) so I really to need by-pass it until tomorrow.  I couldn't see in the manual where I need to put the jumper to by-pass it.  I really don't want to get up in the middle of the night to try to get it going again. 

Thanks for the help guys/gals.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Calling all E-Classic Owners
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:40:12 AM »

Roger, simply detach the wires if you can from the sensor and tie them together, look at it as a light switch, with a low water  situation it breaks the connection like turning off a light switch, when water registers, the sensor makes the connection, like turning on a light switch
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 10:22:29 AM »

Roger, simply detach the wires if you can from the sensor and tie them together, look at it as a light switch, with a low water  situation it breaks the connection like turning off a light switch, when water registers, the sensor makes the connection, like turning on a light switch

Thanks Slimjim.  When there is a break in the rain I'll try that. 

Man, it's nice to have it warmer in the house and not hearing the oil furnace running.  I kicked up the temps on the thermostats to 70 degrees.  I'm keeping close tabs of everything to be sure there are no surprises or hiccups.  The only surprise or hiccup is the LO water sensor malfunction.  It's a man-made unit so it's gonna have issues once in awhile.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 11:43:27 AM »

They all do Roger, They all do!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 03:11:04 AM »

Well, due to the rain all day yesterday I never had a chance to by-pass the low water sensor on my E-Classic 1400.  BUT, she ran great all night without any problems.  Today I'm going to my CB dealer to get a new one.  I will change it out when I get a few minutes.  I don't like working in the rain around electronics, nothing good ever comes of it.  One other thing I did notice, however, is there a bit of corrosion on the connections to the combustion solenoids.  It probably wouldn't hurt to change them and then protect with some dielectric compound; a little preventive maintenance before it becomes a problem.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 09:35:50 PM »

Hey Roger,
I know you are past this now but I did have to bypass my low water sensor a couple of years ago. Just finally got it replaced 2 days ago.  Tried last year but it broke off.  Had to take a torch to it and melt it out.  What a pain. 

About the solenoids.  I've heard people talk about spraying them with WD-40 once a month or so.  I never had trouble with mine til last year.  One of them was buzzing really bad.  I opted to spray them with Fluid Film, bought at Napa if you are not familiar with it.  Have to ask for it in my store as they keep it behind the counter.  Same stuff some use for undercoating vehicles.  Safe on electronics.  I sprayed the solenoids very liberally (including wire connectors) one time last year and no troubles since. 

Jeff
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 03:31:41 AM »

Hi Jeff, Thanks for the tip regarding fluid film.  I'll have to give it a try.  I haven't had any issues since the day I fired her up.  Believe it or not, I haven't even changed (I have a new one just in case it decides to crap on me) or by-passed the low water limit sensor yet.  The OWB has been running great.  I'm beginning to think it was more of corrosion on one of the connection somewhere.  I was told the low water sensor is bad or not bad, it doesn't go bad one day and not bad the other.   Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 06:29:30 PM »

Funny little tidbit of information.  When I bypassed my low water switch it was fine the first year.  When I started the next year I was getting funny temp readings.  I would wiggle the wires inside and it would straighten out but was fluky.  Eventually it started beeping at me again as though the water was low.  What I found is that my splice wasn't tight enough and/or the connection was corroded.  Fixed that and all was good again.   I finally got the switch replaced the other day, so one less thing to worry about for now.
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor