Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Shutting down  (Read 2322 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Shutting down
« on: April 14, 2019, 08:28:53 AM »

I have a couple of days off from work later this week so I'll take a moment to shutdown my Edge 550 HD for the season.  While she's still hot I'll scrape as much of the creosote goo from the walls and roof of the firebox making sure I pay special attention to the corners.  With the warmer temps she's been depositing quite a bit of creosote on the walls and ceiling of the firebox.  Once I'm satisfied that all metal surfaces are clean I'll spray the firebox with NEW motor oil, put a bucket of the chimney and wait for the next heating season.   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
Re: Shutting down
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 06:12:45 PM »

Getting close to shutting down here too. A few more nights in the 20's are forecasted then it looks pretty mild. After nearly 7 months, im ready.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 08:29:16 PM »

Few more weeks for me! Starting cutting today for the 2019 cut..Looking/hoping to get it all done before hot weather comes..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 02:58:12 AM »

Well, I shut her down for the summer season.  I spent a couple of hours on Thursday and perhaps an hour to an hour and half yesterday getting her cleaned out and oil up for the summer season; a bucket has been placed on the chimney.  A couple of findings; This thing is much easier to clean than my old E-Classic 1400.  I still had some creosote buildup in the air channel but nothing like the old one.  I had only inspected the channel through the winter a couple of times but because there was so little build up at the time, I left it there.  That was a mistake, I should have done it during the inspection phase.  That stuff caked up about an 1/8 of inch think and hardened.  I had to spend time chipping it away.  That was something I was hoping to avoid.  The firebox cleaned without difficulty, a simple putty knife did the trick with any creosote.  After the ashes that were left in the reaction chamber from the heating season was removed,  I scraped the side walls and ceiling of fly ash and vacuumed everything out.  The Hx was brushed of fly ash as was the chimney "T".  Overall, I surprised at how easy it cleaned out.  My E-Classic 1400 would have taken nearly 10 hours of time to clean, this thing took at most 3 and 1/2 hours and I didn't feel  like I had been put through the ringer after cleaning her.  Oh!, I used only 5 cord of wood this past season.  Happy about that.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire