Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]

Author Topic: our wood stoves are horrible but epa thinks this is fine  (Read 72016 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: our wood stoves are horrible but epa thinks this is fine
« Reply #330 on: April 29, 2014, 10:47:08 PM »

Yes I get where you are coming from but there are also engineers that don't have the field experience to get the concept that some designs don't always go according to plan.

Most, but def not all engineers I have met can tell you all about how everything should work, but for some reason the tools to do the job dont fit there hands....

Had one guy once who was an engineer for marathon petroleum who was gonna help me install as part of his deal, poor guy couldnt figure out how to use a ratchet, no joke

HAHAHA.

I have an uncle that worked for Ford as an engineer, then got his degree in aerospace, worked for Bell helicopter and now Sikorsky. He literally cannot change a flat tire, he'll sit on the side of the road for hours waiting on AAA. This was even before he started college. Same guy that couldn't figure out why CFL's kept burning up in touch lamps. After I pointed out that it said right on the package Do Not use with Dimmer, his reply was that he isn't, there touch lamps.

Neighbor directly behind me used to be an engineer for Bendix aircraft division, thought he might get his skid steer stuck in the lane feeding horses so the idjit tried to go across a freshly planted hayfield instead.

I've known several engineers over the years, other than a very narrow specific field a larger percentage than not are worthless as tits on a boar hog. No offense Neil.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 30, 2014, 05:34:05 AM »

Its def not all engineers but some of them take the cake
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

PitMan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 30, 2014, 09:58:07 AM »

;)

NaturallyAspirated

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: M250
  • Golfing, snowmobiling fool!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nealmastel.com
« Reply #333 on: April 30, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »

;)
Corporations wouldn't like that government style one bit. 

I'm a fan.   :thumbup:

Neal
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential
Send me your bitcoins!  1GEsGKzP5xK9e45YDjmRzGYpnhwT3oNbvj

jcc273

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 30, 2014, 11:32:12 AM »

HAHAHA.

I have an uncle that worked for Ford as an engineer, then got his degree in aerospace, worked for Bell helicopter and now Sikorsky. He literally cannot change a flat tire, he'll sit on the side of the road for hours waiting on AAA. This was even before he started college. Same guy that couldn't figure out why CFL's kept burning up in touch lamps. After I pointed out that it said right on the package Do Not use with Dimmer, his reply was that he isn't, there touch lamps.

Neighbor directly behind me used to be an engineer for Bendix aircraft division, thought he might get his skid steer stuck in the lane feeding horses so the idjit tried to go across a freshly planted hayfield instead.

I've known several engineers over the years, other than a very narrow specific field a larger percentage than not are worthless as tits on a boar hog. No offense Neil.

Those things have nothing to do with what you do for a living.  I think the point your trying to make is book smarts do not equal common sense or street smarts.  If you are book smart you can go to school and become whatever, you can learn all the ends and outs of a subject and be an expert on the theory behind it.  Does it mean you can apply these concepts in the field?  No you were simply trained on the subject matter.  Stereotyping "Engineers" as a group that only know how things should work with no practical knowledge is absurd. 

First off there are tons of different types of engineers out there you don't just focus on engineering it is way to broad.  I am an Embedded Design Engineer and design circuit boards, write the software for the microprocessor, support manufacturing of the boards, and support issues in the fields.  I am the designer and i know the full ins and outs of how my design works.  I don't build the board because we have trained and experience solder and electronic techs who are amazing at it and that is what they do.  If there is a problem with a part they will fix it, if there is a wiring issue in the field they will fix it, If the device isn't doing what it is supposed to do then I will figure out why and fix it.  Everyone has there area of expertise, and that is how an efficient business works.  I could do the soldering and wiring but it would take me way longer and look a lot messier because i don't do it on a daily basis.  You talk like the title of Engineer should make you an expert on everything.

The examples you gave of your uncle and neighbor have nothing to do with their fields.  They just prove that neither one has any common sense and your uncle chose not to learn to change his own flat.

The stuff you are talking about "engineers" not being able to do is stuff you have to learn like anything else in life, it doesn't just come naturally because you aren't an engineer.  I can change my tires, replace a transmission, cut wood, grow a small garden, build a garage, install plumbing, install wiring, and fix about anything that moves.  There is also plenty i don't know how to do, for example farming.  I love the idea of farming and have slowly been learning more and more for example just got a flock of chickens but i didn't grow up on a farm or have anyone to teach me so it is something i have to lean through experience as i get older.  Being able to do these things has nothing to do with being an Engineer, they are things i took the time to learn to do myself by trial and error or from my father.  I must admit there is a mindset that goes along with doing the types of tasks you describe.  If you have that mindset you are likely to learn them and do them yourself, but not everyone does in which case they focus their thoughts and learning on other areas and that is fine.  We all learn what we choose to learn.  I know plenty of engineers who can all do this stuff and plenty who can't.  I also know plenty of people who work all kinds of other jobs and there are lots who can do this stuff and lots who can't.  So your generalization is absurd.
Jarrod
Hardy - H2
Northwestern PA

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #335 on: April 30, 2014, 01:20:36 PM »

Good point jcc273, however I think the conversation was not aimed at all engineers, I too find it difficult sometimes to communicate with highly educated folks, doesn't mean that I won't try but sometimes folks tend to overthink things a bit and Engineers are famous for it in my book, To most of us burning wood comes very naturally, most engineers overthink it.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 30, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »

I think it was clearly stated enough that it was not all engineers.  There are good ones and bad as with any other profession.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 30, 2014, 01:55:06 PM »

Well said Slim and Scott  :post:
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

jcc273

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 30, 2014, 04:01:31 PM »

I think it was clearly stated enough that it was not all engineers.  There are good ones and bad as with any other profession

In the comment i was responding too i believe it was clearly stated as:

I've known several engineers over the years, other than a very narrow specific field a larger percentage than not are worthless as tits on a boar hog. No offense

I was not talking about any other comment.  The rest may have clearly stated that but he clearly stated that he thought most are that way.  If he meant everyone he should have said that.

Lumping people in groups by any means is ridiculous, and i personally do not appreciate being rolled into a group and considered "worthless as tits on a boar hog".  That's all I'm saying.
Jarrod
Hardy - H2
Northwestern PA

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #339 on: April 30, 2014, 04:07:49 PM »

As an engineer, how do like your Hardy, do you appreciate the value added to your lifestyle by burning wood for heating purposes.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #340 on: April 30, 2014, 05:22:02 PM »

Common sense, if a person has it no need to be taught how to change a flat tire. If they have it then they'd never drive across fresh worked dirt instead of a lane thats been packed down for fifty years.

If things were designed with a little more common sense a lot of us would have a much easier time repairing it later when the time comes.

I deal with stuff daily that if a little more common sense was used in the design of it, it'd be much more reliable, much easier to fix and wouldn't take half a day to get it apart.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 05:50:28 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #341 on: April 30, 2014, 05:45:25 PM »

I would have to agree with you 100 percent on that one, this happens to be one of those nitch areas that we as the commoners can feed the engineers a bit of real life, in the field experience, if we don't alienate one another in the process and the engineers will listen, Lets build the whole Idea of wood for fuel/ heat together.

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 30, 2014, 06:26:50 PM »

I would have to agree with you 100 percent on that one, this happens to be one of those nitch areas that we as the commoners can feed the engineers a bit of real life, in the field experience, if we don't alienate one another in the process and the engineers will listen, Lets build the whole Idea of wood for fuel/ heat together.

Sounds Good!
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

jcc273

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 01, 2014, 10:56:58 AM »

As an engineer, how do like your Hardy, do you appreciate the value added to your lifestyle by burning wood for heating purposes.

I like the boiler alot : ).  We always burnt wood for heat growing up but always with an indoor wood furnace.  When i bought my current house the previous owner had died in a car accident and the house (and hardy) had just sat unused through the winter : /.  As far as i know the boiler has been there since the house's construction in '86 as there was no other heat source in the house whatsoever.  I had 0 experience with these systems, so i figured i had my work cut out for me getting her running again.  This forum was very instrumental in helping me achieve just that : ).  People were able to answer all the questions i had about what i didn't know, which allowed me to get it fixed rather easily : ).

I was very impressed how well the tank and firebox had held up!  I pretty much just had to replace a bunch of plumbing, the pump, switches, valves, and blower and give her a good cleaning and flush and she has run like a champ ever since : ).  I love the cheap heat, hot water, and not having to haul wood indoors : ).

I love coming to this forum often because i always learn something new about them : ).
Jarrod
Hardy - H2
Northwestern PA

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #344 on: May 01, 2014, 11:00:12 AM »

AWESOME!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]