Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 409 Stainless  (Read 5844 times)

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
409 Stainless
« on: February 02, 2018, 08:25:04 PM »

So month or so ago i posted "leak" about my current boiler (Aqua-Therm)..I haven't fixed it yet being cold and being a waiting game..So anyways I called a Central Boiler local dealer just to find out prices etc, (Just out of curiosity)..So the local dealer told me Central Boiler is doing away with carbon steel and going 409 stainless steel on all there boilers this yr..I guess theres been issues with customers not maintaining the water and burning green wood, which shortens the life of the boiler..Edge stainless 550 is shy of 10k!
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
Re: 409 Stainless
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 09:50:06 PM »

My brother lives next door and is the absolute worst OWB owner possible. 

He's had his stove for at least 5 years longer than I've been here and I've been here for over 19 years.

He burns green wood, he burns garbage, he burns millwork strippings, he never checks his water, he uses straight water, never uses any additives, he uses oil to start the fire, he leaves the door open a lot (since he burns green wood) he boils it over about 10 times a season, he's bumped the sides with a skid steer and peeled off the steel sheeting.  He boiled it over so bad once I had to weld a patch in the top of the firebox from where the heat distorted it.  It also melted the pex coming into it.  The water level tube and temp gauge are melted away, he's never replaced the door seal rope, And yet he still heats his house and pole barn with it.

It's a CB6048.

I think using SS would be way better, but I don't know if it's needed.  I guess if they've had problems then maybe it is needed...
Hudson, WI

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 04:49:12 AM »

So month or so ago i posted "leak" about my current boiler (Aqua-Therm)..I haven't fixed it yet being cold and being a waiting game..So anyways I called a Central Boiler local dealer just to find out prices etc, (Just out of curiosity)..So the local dealer told me Central Boiler is doing away with carbon steel and going 409 stainless steel on all there boilers this yr..I guess theres been issues with customers not maintaining the water and burning green wood, which shortens the life of the boiler..Edge stainless 550 is shy of 10k!

Are you talking about the place between Newport and Claremont?  I was wondering what they're asking for one.  Do you know if they have a 550 on the lot?  I'd like to look it over; better, I'd like to see it in operation. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 07:24:27 AM »

Everything CB had on display at the farm show this week had 409 fireboxes. Classic and Edge units.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 07:37:54 AM »

I did an install for a guy about 3 weeks ago with a new 6048, full stainless. For a company that's been bashing stainless for 30 years I found that to be quite a surprise, but apparently it's the standard now. They did have a bad run for awhile with chinese steel from what I understand, and a LOT of unhappy customers because they wouldn't honor the warranty but they seem to be trying to gather the market back up with the new stainless venture. Classic used to be the only name in OWB in my parts, and 3 out of 4 homes use a boiler. Not anymore after that chinese steel hoorah

shepherd boy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 09:36:40 AM »

Are they fully stainless or just the fireboxes?

Also is the Chinese steel thing for sure true? I know the tale is used a lot to bash a brand someone doesn't like. Just recently there was a company bashing Heatmaster by saying they were using Chinese stainless which was completely false. That term is thrown around quite easily. I am told that currently it is almost impossible to buy Chinese steel in North America due to the tariff that US has on Chinese steel. Wholesalers will not handle it just for the limited Canada and Mexico markets.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 10:35:28 AM »

:pic:

Are you talking about the place between Newport and Claremont?  I was wondering what they're asking for one.  Do you know if they have a 550 on the lot?  I'd like to look it over; better, I'd like to see it in operation.
I tried calling them..I called Janco Classic Wood Boilers out of Somersworth.. That place in Newport does have them on display..Man the place sells some serious wood pellets too lol..I got a buddy who bought the 550 Edge last year..Im impressed.. I took care of his Edge a few weeks ago while he was out of town..His boiler doesn't have all the bells and whistles that you can get (internet connection etc).. Bruce (great guy he is) owner of Janco told me $9,700 for the Edge 550 stainless..If your in the Newport area Id stop in and check them out..
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:51:05 AM by MattyNH »
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 10:37:48 AM »

Also is the Chinese steel thing for sure true? I know the tale is used a lot to bash a brand someone doesn't like. Just recently there was a company bashing Heatmaster by saying they were using Chinese stainless which was completely false. That term is thrown around quite easily. I am told that currently it is almost impossible to buy Chinese steel in North America due to the tariff that US has on Chinese steel. Wholesalers will not handle it just for the limited Canada and Mexico markets.
From what Im told the boiler itself is all stainless..I assume the skin of the boiler is still light  steel
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 12:52:34 PM »

Firebox for sure, but I didn't look into the rest. Obviously the framework and skin is still mild but I cannot say what the water jacket is.

I was told by the CB dealer himself that they had a batch of chinese steel in 2004-2010 that was very inconsistent. I know it's thrown around loosely but according to this dealer it was actually the case for CB, and judging by the number of leakers I've run across from that era I wouldn't argue

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 04:51:42 PM »

MattyNH - From what I gather, Wes has sold quite a few of the Maxim outdoor wood pellet boilers.  I only live about 35 to 40 minutes from them so when I am vacation the week of Feb 19th I plan on stopping by to have a look.  I can't complain on how my E-Classic 1400 has been operating over the past 7 winters, it's kept me nice and warm and my DHW nice and piping HOT.  The only hiccup I experienced was when the temps hit -20 with wind, the house side had trouble keeping up with demand but that's a flow problem with the system inside the house, it had nothing to do with the OWB.  I'm old enough to know that everything has a live span and knowing the corrosive nature of creosote, I know this thing is approaching it's end.  Will it be this winter, next winter, perhaps the winter after that?  I have no clue but the first generation of this type of CB boiler seems to be around 7 to 10 years.  Plus the newer units seem to be easier to clean and maintain than the one I have. 

Quick question to everyone - What's the end of season prep look like regarding stainless steel?  Will I have to spend 5 to 6 hours scraping creosote from the fire box when I tuck it in for the summer?  Thanks.  Roger       
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

E Yoder

• OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 06:09:08 PM »

I've yet to see damage to 409 (or 304 for that matter) from moisture, creosote or ash in various brands in 10+ years.  Not saying you won't want to do a general cleaning as summer is better than -20  :) but the urgency isn't there.
My .02.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 06:35:11 PM by E Yoder »
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 07:22:12 PM »

MattyNH - From what I gather, Wes has sold quite a few of the Maxim outdoor wood pellet boilers.  I only live about 35 to 40 minutes from them so when I am vacation the week of Feb 19th I plan on stopping by to have a look.  I can't complain on how my E-Classic 1400 has been operating over the past 7 winters, it's kept me nice and warm and my DHW nice and piping HOT.  The only hiccup I experienced was when the temps hit -20 with wind, the house side had trouble keeping up with demand but that's a flow problem with the system inside the house, it had nothing to do with the OWB.  I'm old enough to know that everything has a live span and knowing the corrosive nature of creosote, I know this thing is approaching it's end.  Will it be this winter, next winter, perhaps the winter after that?  I have no clue but the first generation of this type of CB boiler seems to be around 7 to 10 years.  Plus the newer units seem to be easier to clean and maintain than the one I have. 

Quick question to everyone - What's the end of season prep look like regarding stainless steel?  Will I have to spend 5 to 6 hours scraping creosote from the fire box when I tuck it in for the summer?  Thanks.  Roger       
I live about 1hr 15 mins from the Newport CB dealer..I was doing a job in Claremont..So I was passing the dealership everyday lol..Well that explains with all the pellet sales!..I noticed his shop is connected to a Maxim boiler. I actually know someone that has a CB classic from the 90's! Still runs like a champ last i knew..He runs it all year long..I like said in previous post..Im impressed with my buddy's Edge..If he had the fire star XP..The boiler could sent you text messages if its needs a refilling, If a door was left open etc lol...And you are able to see how your boiler is running with your smart phone anywhere in the world lol..I will also say he got good burns times when we had the frigid extreme cold weather..Long burn times than my boiler..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 03:01:48 AM »

Thanks for your input everyone.  I appreciate it.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 03:51:58 AM »

CB went stainless 409 in 2018 wow yes there marketing bashed 409 very heavy . spider cracks and on and on and on .
Now there 409 stainless . Thats pretty funny .  I bought a stainless OWB 1994 Heatmor  lasted 19 years . I remember one of the ads
from 90"s said we use Mild steel because its easy to fix compared to stainless steel . Shows you how Marketing works LOL

Heat550

shepherd boy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 05:26:23 AM »

That 'easy to fix' thing is a joke in my opinion. It's true you can cut mild steel with a torch instead of a plasma cutter, but trying to weld rusty mild steel, I'll take 409 any day.

Like you said 'It's all in the marketing'.  A good marketeer can take a fault and turn it into something you think you got to have. And turn the competitors best quality to trash. Not just in outdoor furnaces. Just don't be a sucker for a smooth talker or website.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole
Pages: [1] 2