Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: moisture out chimney  (Read 6438 times)

blmike

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: portage & main
  • OWF Model: bl2840
    • View Profile
Re: moisture out chimney
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 05:13:48 PM »

I installed temp gauge,with high and low warning alarms.High is set at 190 and low at 120,one week and no alarms went off.

blmike

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 05:15:59 PM »

Has anyone added a length of stove pipe to try to get the smoke down when filling.

Strawbale Builder

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: ultimizer
    • View Profile
    • strawbalefarms.com
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 06:25:06 PM »

I agree with mlappin. Also your water jacket is only 90 gallons, many boilers of the same btu output have 2 or 3 x's the volume so they can stratify more easily. I have been having all my customers take off the bottom for the last 3 years or so since this issue was first brought to my attention the first year the Ultimizer was introduced. It will work and you will get plenty of heat. Try it and let us know.
Portage & Main dealer Northern Wisconsin, Eastern Minnesota, Upper Peninsula Michigan

Strawbale Builder

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: ultimizer
    • View Profile
    • strawbalefarms.com
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 06:33:03 PM »

Try letting your wood burn down a little more or you can open the ash pan door to get a draft going before you open the firepot door. Do not forget to close your ash pan door when you finish loading or you will soon be hearing a train whistle!
Portage & Main dealer Northern Wisconsin, Eastern Minnesota, Upper Peninsula Michigan

blmike

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 03:54:57 PM »

I will wait till spring to change the hoses around,it is working for now.

patvetzal

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ML36
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 12:39:37 PM »

Well, your wood isn't going to dry much while it is sitting as 14' logs. And once it is enclosed in a tin shed you won't get much circulation either.   I cut split and piled a bunch (4 bush cord) in one of our sheds once. Lots of eager help so it took a day. I left it in the shed from April until fall and then tried to burn it.....found that the birch and maple had gone mouldy, from the trapped moisture.
When we burn damp wood in our OWB we get a build up of creosote that screws up the draft so the smoke comes out the door. When we clean it out, all is good for a while.  We already have ten feet of chimney, just more to clean out.
80 acres of Bancroft bush and Ontario rock, a sweet wife, a few chickens, fishing rod, most everything I need....Most of it made by John Deere, Polaris, Stihl, Ruger, Jeep or me...
Pages: 1 [2]