Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wireless  (Read 1955 times)

coolidge

• View Profile
Wireless
« on: May 02, 2016, 05:52:38 PM »

Ok looking at wireless t stats, boy is there a pile of them. Anyone have any experience with them, good,bad, the ugly?  Recommendations?
Western Maine

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Wireless
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 06:48:02 PM »

Using the Nest myself, set to run the furnace and humidifier, also have the Nest Protects in the kitchen and bedroom.

An interesting feature of the Nest, and it maybe standard on all smart thermostats but you can adjust your temp by a quarter degree, wife always thought 72 was a touch chilly while I thought 73 was a touch warm. We compromised and its set at 72.5  :o

Have been on the way home from a long weekend somewhere and and hour or so out grab the smart phone and turn the temperature back up to 72.5 from 67 degrees. The auto away feature can be disabled if desired.

The self learning feature seems to be spot on, if you want it at 73 at 6am after a few weeks it knows to start early enough to have it at 73 by 6am, within a month it will also start taking into account the outdoor temp as well to determine start times. Not so much from an outdoor temp sensor but from the temp it downloads thru wifi from a local weather source.

Pretty nice features when you start expanding the thermostat with the add on products.

The Nest Protects even have built in motion activated night/path lights. One morning while filling the G400 I got a notification from the Kitchen Nest Protect that smoke was detected, the wife had the heat up way too high and burnt the snot out of a pancake.

Looking into adding both the motion activated cameras and the new wireless door locks from Yale.

Cameras would be nice pointing at the drives, with the new windows, fan fold, house wrap and siding can’t hear people pull in with all the windows shut.

https://nest.com/works-with-nest/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 06:55:22 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

coolidge

• View Profile
Re: Wireless
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 07:10:10 PM »

I don't see anything saying the Nest is wireless though.
Western Maine