Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: My OWB proposed setup  (Read 2510 times)

Gunpowder

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL6048
    • View Profile
My OWB proposed setup
« on: July 07, 2016, 11:00:21 AM »

Been lurking for a few weeks. New to OWB's. Names Mike. Located 1 county south of MLAPPIN.

I am a director of a nonprofit park that purchased a used 3 yr old CL6048 from a county highway dept. The guys just didn't like to maintain their fire I guess. Their loss i my gain (I think lol!)

Both buildings are currently on LP furnaces which will remain as backup.

As a nonprofit, we picked this up to help out our budgets (the nonprofit and mine).

Plan is to heat the nature center/office/restroom part of a building (outlined in white-single story with 12' ceiling in nature center 1,372) and also my residence which is across the parking lot to the east (outlined in white-1,455 sq ft but factor a great room and full basement totaling to bring it to 3,900 sq ft with basement, 2,430 without basement. )

Yes it is a long run to my house but it is what it is as I need to keep it in a convenient area out of public site (maintenance area).

The CB dealer quoted me a 125,000 BTU heat exchanger for the nature center and 140,000 BTU for the house.

Thoughts?
3pt Speeco splitter
2016 22 Ton Iron & Oak V/H splitter
Stihl MS362 C-M, 036
IH574, MF65

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: My OWB proposed setup
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 10:54:34 PM »

What BTU output are the current LP furnaces in each structure?

What are they recommending for underground line, and what size pex?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 12:03:36 AM »

From just running the length of your OWB to the house, and this doesn’t include any fittings of any kind, just the 321 foot run you end up with 75 feet of head if nominal size 1” pex is used. Around 25 feet of head if 1 1/4” nominal pex is used or Logstor.  This is figuring 10 gpm, less gpm means less head but a larger differential. For example 9 gpm gets you down to around 64 feet of head.

A cornucopia of information far as sizing lines and circulators can be found here.

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/SelectingCirculators.pdf

One of these days if we get another winter with a lot of polar vortices I’m gonna put that whole PDF into excel format.

With a 140,000 BTU HX if you want to stick with a 20 degree delta T your looking at a minimum flow of 14 gpm, if your comfortable with a 30 degree differential then 9.3 gpm will suffice.

Ideally if possible it would be best to split the difference between the two structures, but from the picture looks like you have picnic benches there or something.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:15:32 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Gunpowder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 12:38:53 PM »

What BTU output are the current LP furnaces in each structure?

What are they recommending for underground line, and what size pex?

House: 1989 era Williamson Temp-o-Matic 100,000 btu (input)-LP
Office/Nature center: 1995 Bard 50,000 btu-LP

They recommended 1" Thermopex. (keeping in mind, my original proposal was to put is in the south lot near the line of bushes at the house. That got axed since the board wants it out of site. That also enables firewood to be stored next to it and power supplied by the nature center (park pays electric pumps instead of me (at my residence).  Not sure if CB dealer will want to bump to 1 1/4 with the longer run. Was going to quote the materials in the new location.
3pt Speeco splitter
Stihl MS362 C-M, 036
IH574, MF65

Gunpowder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 12:46:55 PM »

mlappin, As you can guess I am getting a material quote from Topeka. My one board member has an OWB and he said someplace online in WI or MN is cheaper for exchanges and was his source, etc. Knowing your a dealer and nearby, would be glad to consider you if you carry supplies. 

Also may be seeking an installer if my board member doesn't get free time. He farms and is still swamped. He has the backhoe. One thing that has been on my wish list here at the park (backhoe). Too hard to get a contractor free to do my smaller projects. they are swamped around here. Especially when they know we are a nonprofit and they try to not charge us to the max.
3pt Speeco splitter
Stihl MS362 C-M, 036
IH574, MF65

Gunpowder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 12:53:25 PM »

Wish I could use strait non-insulated pex. The "garage" that was heated with this OWB has probably 300' of 1 1/4 or 2" pex. Also a heat exchanger I will never use that is as big as a economy car  to heat their shop.  That shop must have 40-0' ceilings and is 500'+ long and 200 wide so the BTU must be super high. It came with the OWB too. Still need to get it and the pex removed from the ceiling.

No pumps on the furnace so they must be contained in the ceiling exchanger.
3pt Speeco splitter
Stihl MS362 C-M, 036
IH574, MF65

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 03:09:33 PM »

Are you actually getting  true 1” ID pex or is it nominally sized pex?

Logstor is metric and is actually a tad over 1” ID, whats sold at Lowes, Menards etc as one inch pex is actually the same OD as the OD as one inch copper therefore they can dubiously call it one inch pex while the true ID is more like 7/8” then you start to add pex fitting and each of those cuts it down closer to 3/4” ID. 1 1/4” pex is also a tad over 1” ID.

The previous numbers far as head pressure, the 75 foot head was calculated using 1” pex while the 25 foot of head was calculated using 1 1/4” pex or Logstor. Takes a hell of a pump to move water with 75 foot of head just in the underground pipe.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 04:53:49 PM »

If you are running 10 gpm with 25' of head with 1-1/4" you would be around 28' of head at same flow rate with Logstor.

Gunpowder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 01:30:10 PM »

First, change of sq footage on house since I was including total for basement instead of 1/2 since heat rises to heat floor of main floor. Total footage for residence is 3,130 (not 3,900).

Talking to dealer, they recommend a 07 Taco pump for the nature center & 014 Taco pump for the residence. All 1" Thermopex.
3pt Speeco splitter
Stihl MS362 C-M, 036
IH574, MF65

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 10:48:21 PM »

I would go with 1 1/4" pex with a 321 foot run to the house. I am less than 200' to my shed and I should have put in 1 1/4 instead of the 1" I did. Typically not a lot more money depending on where you get it.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter