Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 02:19:16 AM 
Started by coolidge - Last post by E Yoder
Higher temp water has more available btu's, but you may not need to transfer more btu's... It's all in type and sizing of emitters. Higher temp water allows for smaller emitters, but creates more dramatic temperature swings in the house. Stack temps would climb a bit with hotter water, with a small loss in efficiency, also greater heat loss in underground piping. ...
If you're aiming for max comfort in theory an outdoor reset to drop water temp down in milder weather would give constant circulation and even temps.
It's a long discussion and as Honda said depends on the heating system.  :)

on: December 12, 2017, 07:06:33 PM 
Started by coolidge - Last post by hondaracer2oo4
What are you running for a heat source? Forced hot air, baseboard, radiant etc?

on: December 12, 2017, 05:57:45 PM 
Started by coolidge - Last post by coolidge
Is there a benefit to running hotter water in a boiler? I know it takes more wood to get it there, but if you had 195 high point and 175 low wouldn't you be able to extract more usable heat than 160?

on: December 12, 2017, 04:38:38 PM 
Started by donniet79 - Last post by hondaracer2oo4
Darin don't be spreading the truth like that! When I told that guy what you just said he told me he has been heating with an owb since I was in diapers and promptly blocked me! :o

on: December 12, 2017, 02:03:15 PM 
Started by donniet79 - Last post by E Yoder
I agree ^^^, if the building is being heated then the BTU load is the same regardless of flow. Upping flow might allow the heating system in the building to run less, but it'll shut off quicker. Think of the flow and return water temp as a seesaw, one goes up the other goes down as long as there is enough flow that the heat transfers over in the building.
Checking return water temps would tell you a lot.

on: December 12, 2017, 02:00:03 PM 
Started by wreckit87 - Last post by GUSWHIT
The pump is in the auto cycle when it won't slow down?  I thought that was when it was supposed to react to the change in pressure?

on: December 12, 2017, 02:00:00 PM 
Started by Roscoe - Last post by Bluegrass Wood Burner
Around here I'm seeing a lot if these cloth gloves with a rubbery grip on fingers and Palm. Why are these so popular? Seems the rubber would get cold easy.

on: December 12, 2017, 12:03:59 PM 
Started by wreckit87 - Last post by wreckit87
Yeah so I got there and pulled the pump apart, found nothing out of the ordinary in the impeller, but the check valve had fallen apart and the ball was sideways in the hole. Pulled the check out altogether and bled the pump with the domestic fill and purge port on the discharge side of the pump. Fired it back up and turned it up to 3, with both zones open it was 2-3 GPM and 1 GPM with the single loop for the office open. Good return temps. Everything was performing as normal. What I found out is that he only fills the boiler once a day so it's out every morning and only sending 80 degree water to the house. I tried talking him out of that habit and explaining that he needs to keep that temp up in order for this to work, but it didn't sound like he wanted to listen so I just cranked the mixing valve up to 135 and am going to leave it at that. What I'm a little disappointed in though, if I close the discharge valve right on the flange or both zone valves, the pump won't slow down but a bit. From 43 to 39 watts and just keeps running wide open without noticing the pressure differential and adjusting for it. Kind of defeats the purpose of what I was trying to do with the Alpha altogether

on: December 12, 2017, 11:42:02 AM 
Started by hoardac - Last post by Jon_E
I just let whatever ash that falls through the nozzle, get cleaned out from the secondary burn chamber.  I don't clean anything out of the main firebox.  Raking the coals around drops a lot of ash through the slot.

on: December 12, 2017, 11:39:32 AM 
Started by d5knapp - Last post by Jon_E
I put my G200 in on January 4, 2017 and it has been operating 24/7 since that day, to supply domestic hot water and heat.  I did not keep track of wood usage until 01 October, when I started taking wood from a full wood shed.  Best estimate, I have burned just about 1-1/2 cords of wood since 01 October.   Might be a little more since I filled it a half-dozen times with splitter trash and ugly chunks that weren't in the wood shed.  I think I'm about 40% lower in consumption on average than I was with my old wood boiler.  I heat 4300 square feet of a 12-year-old timberframe/SIP hybrid home.  Also DHW for 4 people daily, sometimes more when family visits.  I am going to be adding a significant heat load in a couple of weeks, being a partially insulated 800 sf garage with a second floor loft.  I think my wood use will jump back up quite a bit until I get the garage insulated and the temp stabilized.  I plan on keeping it around 55-60 degrees.  Enough to work in a tee shirt but not warm enough to sweat.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10