Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Earth Energy 190  (Read 16432 times)

shawbran

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Jayhawk Pex Supply
Re: Earth Energy 190
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 04:30:21 PM »

Good stove that is working correctly has a stack temp of 99 degrees non working stove is 45 degrees

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 06:16:13 PM »

All that I can really think of off the top of my head is that the wood you are burning is green. If your stack temps are low AND you are not transferring the heat to the water in the stove that means that you have a cold fire, typically caused by either green wood which is using btu's to burn off the water or very low btu wood.  I tried to look on the heatsource1 website about how the 190 is built etc but found very little info. I assume that it is a downdraft gasser? I also assume that its not lighting off the secondary and gassifying, correct?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:19:02 PM by hondaracer2oo4 »

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 06:50:19 PM »

Is it a downdraft gasser? Is the secondary lighting off and staying lit? Did this stove ever work correctly or have you had problems with this particular one ever since you have had it?

shawbran

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Jayhawk Pex Supply
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 07:18:01 PM »

yes its a downdraft gasser.  It worked fine until this year.  I guess I don't know what the secondary lighting is.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »

When the gas leaves the burn chamber by way of the bottom of the firebox(downdraft gasser) there should be a secondary air injection there and you should have a VERY hot 2000 degree flame  shooting into the bottom of the unit which is likely covered in firebrick. Is there flame present or not? If it is not lit off then you will have very little heat output from the unit.

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 07:32:02 PM »

These units have to be at at least 130deg. before even thinking about switching to downdraft mode. I run mine at no less than 170 deg,on the control and have a nice white/bluish flame / should remind you of an afterburner on a jet. water valve adjustment at top rear of unit seems to affect this as well. You need a good hot coal bed to have the secondary burn taking place effectively/ otherwise it'll just blow ash and smoke in the tunnels.I am running draft damper at approximately 2 1/2 setting. I would definately mix up your sizes of would and make sure they nest together well(no big gaps). Shawbran, make sure and give me a call if what we discussed on the phone happens to work. My unit is performing well and I am not choosy on wood. Burning a mix of green and dry....beggars can't be choosy. I have also found that if you just add this to chores and throw in wood before work after work and before bed... it uses less and stays hot. smaller loads and hotter fires.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 10:50:45 PM »

Tule, has he ever been gassifying with this thing?

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 08:06:57 PM »

Hondaracer< yes, he has. We have conversed via phone many times, as we are but a few of the owners of these gassers by this company and put them into service at about the same time. Seems one stove has always been kinda finicky for some odd reason. I am no expert, but I just advise on what has worked for me. I used to keep really close tabs on it in the beginning, but as long as I am warm, and shop is warm, not so much. I run into problems when I have my young son tend the fire. He just chucks wood in and shuts door. No observation on his part as to what sort of coal bed/temp., whether or not coals are glowing/ or more like charcoal, etc.. I surmise that he may have the same issue with his dad's stove. My son on occasion, has thrown 2 big rounds in thinking that was a good thing as that wood burn much longer....well he was correct, except for the fact that very little heat is gained(actually lost temp.)( again, my observation, with my wood supply/which is mix of this years cut and 1-2 year seasoned.). So, I have used the small/large/dry/ green mix ever since. Works great for me.

shawbran

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Jayhawk Pex Supply
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 12:53:44 PM »

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 03:36:42 PM »

Well that answer that, its gassifying. Now we need to figure out why it is not transferring that heat to the water jacket. How do you clean out your heat exchangers  that the hot flue gas passes through on its way to exiting the unit? I see that the Portage and Main guys clean there heat exchangers every week. Where are you measure the stack temp when it exits. The Portage and Main guys say that they are getting around 275* stack temps and they are very happy with that efficiency. If you have 150* I think you are measuring something not accurate to the actual stack temp since that means it would be more efficient then the P&M which can't be true since it won't bring the water up to temp.

shawbran

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Jayhawk Pex Supply
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »

I was measuring at the bottom of the stack where it exits the roof.  I have not cleaned the heat exhangers yet.  I just contacted the company about doing that today since they are bolted and silicone in.  I'm guess that's probably where my problem will be found.  I spent yesterday cleaning the ashes out in the -10 wind chill and that was enough for me.  I'm going to have to unhook several water lines to remove the heat exchangers after speaking with someone today. Could possibly having the valves set wrong be the reason that it isn't transferring also? These stoves have a 1/2" pex line that goes from the top of the water jacket into the exchanger and exits at the bottom of the exchanger and recycles back into the return from the house.  Think one of these might be adjusted incorrectly?

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 04:02:54 PM »

Man o Man it sounds like you have a real funky set up on that thing! Most gassers heat exchanger sends the flue gas through 10-15 1 1/2 or 2 inch pipe which passes through the water jacket several times and then exits the flue stack. I don't have any grasp on the design of your stove at all. The portage and main people have to run a brush through the pipes every week or so to get the ashes and crud out so that the flue gas contacts the pipes and passes the heat into the water.

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 04:04:40 PM »

Holy wow... That's a big pump. Almost 20gpm at 20' of head. Its more than a 26-99 on spd3. And more than a Taco 0011 or 0013. You said you have it on spd3, so even on spd1 it close to a 0014.  Any idea on head in the loop. Either way is there anything visible coating the FB. Or tubes.
That NRF is the same circ we used to heat air handlers in 6 school rooms.
Michigan Thumber

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 05:38:58 PM »

I run an NRF-36 on speed three as well. Needed the gpm to get my delta t where it needed to be pushing through a 24x24 water to air HX. I get a 22 degree drop across it. I had to run two 1 inch lines each way to reduce the friction loss and get the 'Head' where it needed to be to reduce the temp drop across the HX. I get a 30 degree drop on speed 1.

CVR Man

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatsource1
  • OWF Model: Model 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 04:08:49 PM »

I am the owner of CVR Manufacturing (the company that purchased the Heatsource1 Brand of stoves) I just want to respond to shawbran about my company.

You talked to me. You called looking for free technical information on a stove that we do not make and I have no experience running. I spent several minutes listening to your problems and making suggestions. You asked if I would take it in trade and I told you I would. This just shows that no good deed goes unpunished. Next time you have trouble and need parts -please call some one else.
Pages: 1 [2] 3