Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Adding water capacity with an external tank  (Read 13001 times)

Homerglide

• OWF Brand: Orlan EKO
  • OWF Model: Out in the shop - Model 25 gasifier
    • View Profile
Re: Adding water capacity with an external tank
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 08:03:30 AM »

Adding water capacity does not affect your BTUs/hr output; that is determined by how big your boiler is (firebox, fire wood size, etc).  You can only put a set amount fo BTUs into the system, based on OWB boiler sizing.

**All a buffer tank or Hydronic Seperator do is to help elimate the extreme temperature swings (up or down) in a system, not add BTU/hr capacity

ALSO REMEMEBER, that by adding water volume; YES you adding more hot water to the system, but when that water cools off you just have that much more water to heat back.  :-\  Which may or may not extend your calls for heat and reduce the reaction time of your system.
I agree with some of this. However, thermal storage allows the boiler to run full tilt for an entire load of fuel. Thus there is no standby loss of btu's from the firebox. Thermal storage is proven without a doubt to be more efficient. The down side is additional cost up front and space considerations.
Coupla Chainsaws
Axe
Strong OLD Back
2000 Dodge Cummins

JDfarmer

• OWF Brand: NCB 250 coal
  • OWF Model: NCB 250 Coal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 10:41:21 AM »

Agree. I was in Russia at an orphanage. They have a coal wood boiler like mine. They attached two about 1500 ga water tanks and built an insulated shed for the two water tanks. They only fire it every two days and let the entire load burn. It gets the water to 185ish. Works great for them and only use 1/4 of the fuel they used to. It's kind of like the garn unit just much much cheaper.
Interesting concept I have to admit.
I bet I waste a ton of fuel at idle because our house is so well insulated our central blower only goes off here and there.
I think I'm going to add at least a 200 ga tank as a buffer and see what happens. I bet it will make thing better.
Pump speed definetly has a huge impact; my pump at low has 30 F drop across water air exchanger. At medium it's down to 15F. At high probably even less. My pump is three speed 0-20 boroder pump.

http://www.garn.com/media/videos/
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:51:26 AM by JDfarmer »

dukethebeagle

• OWF Brand: green mountain woodhog(home built)
  • OWF Model: 0001 hot tamali
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 03:10:58 PM »

i bet i run mine wide open three quarters of the time
my boiler is just a home built.but running like this creates almost no smoke cause it run hot all the time
and thats how i want it.it only takes one twerp to make a complaint to the town and its game over
when you get it hooked up start a new thred.would really like to hear your results
         also
      i like to split some wood down smaller which also makes for a hotter fire
for me the name of the game is to create the hottest fire possible
            goodluck
         go cheap.i you don`t like it you haven`t broke the bank  ;)
austin qc
bluegrass rules
pround canadian living in quebec
proud appalachian

JDfarmer

• OWF Brand: NCB 250 coal
  • OWF Model: NCB 250 Coal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 05:02:03 PM »

I agree. The best is burning hot. Some people give these boiler a bad name by producing a ton of smoke by burning green wood the crap.
Luckily my closes neighbour is more than a mile and there are only two neighbour's around here. City people would love to eliminate all the boilers and have everybody switch to "clean" gas.
God I bet they have never been to a natural gas fraciking site. If I burnt nothing but rubber tires I would produce 1/3000 of the polutants of a fracking site. I burn a lot of Anthrocite coal, you don't even see smoke. My one neighbour came over asking why we don't use our boiler because he never sees smoke. I showed him that it was burning red hot. Now he wants one. :)
Thanks again

i bet i run mine wide open three quarters of the time
my boiler is just a home built.but running like this creates almost no smoke cause it run hot all the time
and thats how i want it.it only takes one twerp to make a complaint to the town and its game over
when you get it hooked up start a new thred.would really like to hear your results
         also
      i like to split some wood down smaller which also makes for a hotter fire
for me the name of the game is to create the hottest fire possible
            goodluck
         go cheap.i you don`t like it you haven`t broke the bank  ;)

dukethebeagle

• OWF Brand: green mountain woodhog(home built)
  • OWF Model: 0001 hot tamali
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 06:51:06 PM »

agreed
austin qc
bluegrass rules
pround canadian living in quebec
proud appalachian
Pages: 1 [2]